Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

temp sensor

lbranham1101
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
well i found i had a pin hole in the bypass hose, fixed it, doesnt lose coolant anymore, but its still getting hot. before the thermostat went out months ago, the temp was always at the 1/4 mark. it always stayed there, til the thermostat went out. replaced it and ever since it loves to 220 mark.. well i flushed the rad twice. fixed the bypass hose, filled with coolant, all was well i thought... well it over heated again today. lil over 220. im thinking the CTS? (coolant temp sensor) but someone said there is actually 2. 1 that controls the gauge and 1 that goes to the ecm or .something? i got lost in his ramble... does anyone know about any of this? thanks

Tech II
07-03-2012, 02:05 PM
This vehicle usually has two....single green wire to a sensor is for the gage....two wires(blk and yellow?) to the sensor for the ECM.....

You would need a scan tool to compare both sensors....

Sure you are not losing coolant that may be creating an air pocket? Cooling fan operating ok?

lbranham1101
07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
This vehicle usually has two....single green wire to a sensor is for the gage....two wires(blk and yellow?) to the sensor for the ECM.....

You would need a scan tool to compare both sensors....

Sure you are not losing coolant that may be creating an air pocket? Cooling fan operating ok?

no coolant loss.. its a 92 so how would i use a scanner on it? and do you know the location of these sensors?

thephantom1492
07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Also, take note that the engine love to run hot too.
It is possible that the engine is just running at it's normal temperature now.

1/4 sound to me that the thermostat was faulty and stuck open.

xeroinfinity
09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
its possible he had a 180-185 deg thermostat in there and put in a 195 like most auto stores sell. So it'll read higher on the gauge. ;)

This model isnt as bad as the newest GA's when purging air from the cooling syst!

lbranham1101
09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Update, car is fixed, after having 6 mechanics rack their brains
Come to find out, the metal line coming from the overflow tank
Was clogged.

xeroinfinity
09-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Sometimes its the simple things overlooked. Glad you got it solved !

Add your comment to this topic!