Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

06 Mercury Mountaineer new plugs

tangster
06-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Just wanted to ask is there anything special one should know when changing out the factory installed plug in the head of a 06 V/6 4.0 motor .
I have heard said there can be a problem with some of the motor packages in that the carbon on the plug can wreak havoc on the heads and the threads and the plugs will and can snap off .

I've changed a million plugs in my 62 yrs as a gear head and hot rodding but never on a Ford/Merc V/6
Just wanted to be sure as to if there is any tricks I should look into first. Thanks

shorod
06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the forum!

The Explorer/Mountaineer engines that seemed to have the biggest issues with plugs were the early 4.6L V8s. I haven't heard of many concerns with the V6 from a spark plug perspective. You will want to pay close attention though when unscrewing the plugs and if one feels seized, don't get too crazy.

I haven't changed plugs in a 2006 to know if these use the CoP with the plugs accessed from above through the center of the valve covers or if these are still mounted between exhaust manifold passages. If they are between the exhaust manifold ports, then the easy way to get to the rear plug on the passenger side is from through the wheel well. Jack the truck up, safely support it, remove the wheel, and go in above the upper control arm.

A lot of folks have complained about issues with aftermarket plugs. The general consensus is to install OEM double platinum plugs. I've almost exclusively installed iridium plugs in my late model vehicles with no issues, but some would say I'm just lucky.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!