01 3.8 harmonic balancer removal

comet240
06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
hi i working on a friends car he has a 01 3.8 impala
i used my air gun to get the main bolt off but i dont know the 3 bolts i need to use with my puller

i have the powerbuilt puller and the bolts are too big for this impala
does anyone know the bolts i need? i guess you cant get them from home depot or canadian tire? probably have to hit Brafasco

rkvons
06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
hi i working on a friends car he has a 01 3.8 impala
i used my air gun to get the main bolt off but i dont know the 3 bolts i need to use with my puller

i have the powerbuilt puller and the bolts are too big for this impala
does anyone know the bolts i need? i guess you cant get them from home depot or canadian tire? probably have to hit Brafasco
Nor sure, but I think the bolt you want is 3/8 x 16.

comet240
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
i just checked the kit it already has 3/8 and 5/16 and they too big also has M8 and thats too big too

comet240
06-27-2012, 12:07 PM
ok i have a big problem

first i found the right bolts to use the 1/4 -28 x 3" nf

i put the point attachment on the end of the center and bolted the 3 on
i tighten them on a bunch and then i use the center point

then i tighen with the air gun but it wont pop off so then i reversed it i didnt wanna break the bolts
and it left the center attachement in the harmonic balancer and i cant get it out or the balancer whats holding it on? what do i need to do?

Tech II
06-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Ruh-Roh!

When I attach my puller, I install a long socket where the bolt goes(pick a socket that will be loose in there.....

Now when you screw in the puller, the nose of it rides on the socket, and doesn't get wedged.......Obviouisly you used too large an adapter.....did you drive the nose into the balancer or the crank? Either case, not going to be easy to remove.....

comet240
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
hi ya the adapter is jammed in the balancer
the Power Built kit for harmonic balancer is only one size

so once i get it off id use a deep socket? and the screws the 3 are they attacked to the harmonic balcner? so that all comes out? or is it supposed to wedget in some? as i probably can use a what 9/16 deep socket with any extension and then put puller on?

comet240
06-27-2012, 01:56 PM
ok i confused again as my mom went to canadian tire to ask as i stuck at home, and they warned her dont take the bolt out of the harmonic balancer you just unloosen it a bit and and not fully or you ruin the engine? is this true? and if so then how the hell do i change the crack sensor?

comet240
06-27-2012, 02:31 PM
hi so i got the adapter out cuz its tappered coned and it only in the balancer so whats this mechanic talking about then if i take the bolt out then the engine wont run again?

comet240
06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
so i got it off too a couple times to extend it to pop it off this mechanic from ctire knows nothing dunno what he smoking nothing wrecked engine and he doesnt use a harmonic puller but says he uses a 3 claw puller some young mechanic as there is no way u can get a 3 claw even in there

Add your comment to this topic!