Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Install Overhead Trip Console

Redlegger
06-23-2012, 11:37 AM
I have a 2005 Grand Caravan and a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport. My 2002 has just been totaled and before they come get it I am swapping out some accessories. I was going to take the overhead console out of my Sport and swap it for the basic one in my 2005. Is it as simple as disconnecting some wires and does anyone know how these are removed. I don't see any visible screws. Thanks.

Alphabravo
07-03-2012, 08:56 PM
If your 2005 is the same as the 2003, open the sunglass compartment and you'll see a black phillips screw.
Be sure to take the wiring harness off your donor vehicle. It runs down to a connector at the base of the door pillar one the passenger side. It goes to all the overhead lights, too.
I did the same thing in one of my vans. Not hard to do. good luck.

P.S. Your outside temp readout won't work. Unless you also grab the temp sensor and the harness that goes with it. I never got that far on mine.

Redlegger
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
I have been chicken to pull he console out of the one without a screw as well as the one with the screw. Do I just pull it down ? Can I break it if not careful ? I am assuming I will have an area of missing overhead liner. Will I need to cut out the overhead liner in the one I am installing ?

Alphabravo
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok. so the one without the screw is the one without the trip computer and all the other stuff, right? Sorry I can't remember how I got that one off. I think I just pried with my fingers. Not too hard to tear the headliner, though. Try pulling down slightly and looking for a tab to push in or something. Sorry, that's one thing I can't remember how I did.

Yes, you will have to cut the headliner. Since you're scrapping the donor vehicle, I would cut that whole section out and use it as a template. The headliner cuts surprisingly easy with a utility knife, just use a new blade. You can even make some cuts on the donor vehicle for practice. It's easier than cutting through carboard.

Also, take from the donor vehicle the black plastic bracket that the overhead console mounts on. You'll need it in the other van.

It's really not hard at all, but you'll ba a couple hours doing it.

Alphabravo
07-04-2012, 09:28 PM
On second thought, I vaguely remember pulling out the lights. See if there are screws under there. If not, just pry gently down and peek in there for a tab to push.

Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!