Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

65 mustang convertible-did i burn the engine?

65mustanggal
06-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Greetings! First time user, hope to get some thoughts before I tow my car into the shop! Battery was dead, got a new one. Car won't start!! I hear the click of starter and nothing else. I have had the car for 9 years, I always check oil and transmission fluid because it does leak and i only use the car about once every 2-3 months.And my battery typically goes out. Last time it started and went just fine. I put it in the garage, turned it off. Turned it back on and it was running then it just stopped. My heart sank....so what should I expect to be checked first when I take it in to an auto mechanic? 65mustanggal

Mohave
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Your post is a little confusing and I am assuming the car ran fine and just died the last time you used it, but that it died and would not start. Now you are trying to get it running again and the starter just clicks.

Were you hearing the starter click or the starter relay? The first thing I would check would be the relay on the side of the fender as it can click. I would short across the relay to see if the starter cranks the engine. I would also start there to trace voltage at the two threaded posts on the relay. Check to make sure it is working correctly from a wiring diagram.

i would also check all connections between the battery and the starter for resistance and clean them. I would also check the ground straps for their ability to conduct electricty.

Add your comment to this topic!