Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with finding right wheel studs

Joongyup
06-15-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm in processing of replacing all of my wheel studs (long story for another time). Bought all 20x wheel studs (part# 610-324) from O'Reilly for 99 Intrigue 3.8L few days ago. Replaced driver side front without too much problem, however, yesterday I worked on right front side and the problem came. New studs are too loose so went back to O'Reilly and bought different 5x studs (part# 610-253) which has almost same knurl diameter as the original studs I cut out. But it wouldn't still work. I'm going back to O'Reilly later today and maybe the GM dealer if I can't find perfect replacement. I can't understand why front studs have little difference. I haven't taken the rear to find out if their studs are the same way or not. Any help would be appreciated. :banghead:

Joongyup
06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
I ended up getting different studs (Dorman 610-302) which has bigger knurl that fits little tight. But it works and no issues. I just don't know why left front and right front wheel studs are different.

pfofit
06-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Perhaps the hub assembly on that side was replaced with an aftermarket?

Why cut them off. Those studs can easily be pressed out with a tie rod end or ball joint tool. Even bracing the hub plate with a socket or something similar and a good whack with a maul will pop them out.

I always save the studs when I change hub assemblies. Saves running round when one goes south.

Joongyup
06-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the comment. But I had the car since it was new and hub assembly was never replaced. As for taking out the studs, there was no way around other than taking the hub out which is pain. There isn't just enough room to clear the OEM studs. So cutting the old studs and replace them with the shorter studs where they already sell them as "without hub removal".

Add your comment to this topic!