Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Venture 2000 Temperature Gauge Sweeps

Flood87
06-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Gauge was sweeping so I took into the shop. They replaced water pump and thermostat and flushed the system. Their code reader said the EGR Valve and new plugs/wires were needed. I did that.

Took it for a ride;same problem. Tested the Coolant Temperature Sensor and it is OK

Took it back to the shop. They did pressure test and vapor test. Both tested OK.

Drove to work last week and the gauge pegged and I had to get a tow.

Any ideas.

Here is what I have posted on YOUTube. Some of the video may not be relevant to an experienced mechanic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuaRtRDNzJA

sverker
06-12-2012, 02:31 AM
The symptoms are quite typical for a blown head gasket, and that would be my bet, but it should have shown on the pressure and vapor tests if properly done.

You may want to read the temperature value from PCM with an obd-II interface to ensure it's not the gauge. You may also use an IR thermometer to read the actual temperature on the upper radiator hose or thermostat house to check that the sensor is ok.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Tech II
06-12-2012, 06:35 PM
By "shop", did you mean a GM shop?

If you did, and they changed the w/p, thermostat, and did a flush, and it didn't fix the vehicle, shame on them.....there isn't a code reader made that says a car explicitly needs an EGR or plugs/wires.....

If this was a GM shop, call GM Customer Assistance, and complain.......the policy at EVERY GM shop is to verify the complaint, find the cause of it, fix it, and road test the vehicle to verify the fix......any GM shop that "fixed" an overheating problem, and returns a vehicle that overheats, DROPPED THE BALL! It's up to you the customer to complain about this shop to GM Customer Assistance, so this won't happen to future customers.....

If it wasn't a GM shop, then complain to the Better Business Bureau, if they don't stand behind their work.....

As Severker said, could be a head gasket, lower intake leak, or a leak that they did not see....leaks cause air pockets that lead to overheating conditions......

Flood87
10-27-2014, 11:56 PM
A follow up on the problem. We are just using the Venture locally now. I drilled a hole in the thermostat. That worked for a little while. Put some K Seal in it. Didn't make much difference.

I check the level every week.

Just going to drive it until it dies. Not worth fixing. No white smoke, no gel in the oil cap. Must be from the combustion cycle.

Flood87
02-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Update: Definite head gasket. Sold car to somebody who wanted to do the job.

Add your comment to this topic!