Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 cobalt loss of comm w tcm, now wont even start! plz help

ashley36
06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Ok so I have a 2005 cobalt w a 2.2 ecotech engine. I jumped a car, then as soon as I was done my speedometer stopped working, power steering light came on, when I put it in gear it clicks and shifts hard, and while driving it won't shift out of first. Check engine code read loss of comm w tcm. Have had numerous people look at it and they all say different things, none of which have worked. Just got ripped off. One guy took off my under hood fuse box ( after he replaced what he called the tcm but wasn't, it was the first black box under the fuse thing) and I went to go put it back, now my car won't start like its not getting fuel. Tested where the fuse for the fuel pump is and its getting no power. Another guy told me I need a new fuse box to even get it started before I can even touch the tcm problem. I can't invest much more money in here especially since nothing had worked. Please help!!!!!!!!!! Tell me what you think about either or both problems. Any advice helps!!!!!

gmtech1
06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
First, check for ANY blown fuses in the underhood fuse box. The TCCM is mounted in front of the battery and is exposed. If a live jumper cable contacted it, or if the module came in contact with the positive jump post, there is a very good chance that the TCCM was damaged.

ashley36
06-08-2012, 12:36 PM
All the fuses are good

GMCustomerService
06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
ashley36,
Were any of the places you visited one of our GM dealerships? I'm happy to follow up on this with you if you like; please send me a private message with the last 8 digits of your VIN and the name of your dealership.
Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

gmtech1
06-08-2012, 09:40 PM
If you cannot communicate with the TCM, you have either lost power and/or ground to it, the data line to the TCM is damaged (not likley) or the module is damaged.

Add your comment to this topic!