Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power window switch

mishalah
05-30-2012, 07:29 PM
My front passenger window switch seems to have died. Where is the easiest/cheapest place to get one right away?

1996 1500LT, window works fine when I use the driver door switches.

Blue Bowtie
05-30-2012, 10:02 PM
It could be the passenger door switch, or it could be the feed through contacts on the master (driver side) switch. Diagnose completely before throwing parts at it. Been there with the POS imported Alps switches. Note the pitting, carbon, and corrosion:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/WindowMasterSwitch.jpg

mishalah
05-31-2012, 01:40 AM
I pulled the unit out of the panel to see if the contacts were dirty, but they seemed fine. The door lock switch would lock the door but wouldn't unlock it. I'm guessing the unit is worn out but tomorrow I'm going to try shorting across the window switch or window harness leads to see if it activates.

I wonder if I can pull a switch from the rear window and plug it into the front harness connector to see if that works???

mishalah
06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Got a new one at AZ for about $35...minus all my discounts :). Installed, works fine.

Oh....if you ever do this R&R, before you try the switch be sure the window lock button on the driver door is set so you can actually work the other windows.

Don't ask me how I know that......duh. :P

DeltaP
06-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Got a new one at AZ for about $35...minus all my discounts :). Installed, works fine.

Oh....if you ever do this R&R, before you try the switch be sure the window lock button on the driver door is set so you can actually work the other windows.

Don't ask me how I know that......duh. :P
Ha,Ha!:lol2:

mishalah
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
I know. I know......sigh.

Worse, though, I sold the Sub and really miss it.

So, I'll keep drivin' this sissy 2005 until I can find a nice Sub with a bigger engine to pull a trailer. A simple broken light switch would be a blessing on this over-optioned girly cruiser. Just had the front differential rebuilt: nice and quiet, but I sure could have used the cash for something better. :(

Add your comment to this topic!