Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Powerstop Evolution Brakes for Grand Cherokee

CaptBob
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
My 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo has only 93K on it but I have had to replace pads and/or rotors on the front several times due to "pulsing". They are the Akebono brakes. It's that time again and several friends have recommended that I use Powerstop Evolution rotors and pads. All of them have had very good service and the slotted & drilled rotors and ceramic pads have received 4+ stars on several forums and blogs.

I installed a full set (front and rear rotors and pads) and now have 200+ miles on them. My story may be unique but I wanted to share with fellow Jeep GC owners:

All the parts are made in China (which is not unusual) and honestly, they look very good. However, the instructions are not as clear as they need to be and ---here is the rub--- Their tech support is, well, AWFUL!:headshake

There is no mention that the clips need to be replaced so I re-used the ones from the previous (Wagner) set. I followed the "break-in" instructions provided by Powerstop and the brakes stop very well BUT there is an annoying tick,tick,tick when using the brakes. None of my friends had this problem so I called tech support.

The first guy told me that "the noise will go away after 100 miles" --it didn't. A week later I called again and 2nd guy had no idea what he was talking about and finally told me I would have to "take it up with my parts supplier".

Parts supplier was very understanding and, while no one else had reported similar problems with these Powerstop rotors and pads, he was willing to replace them for me. When I opened the box for the replacements, i notice that there are 8 new clips for the pads! Previous set came without new clips.

I could not reach tech support on phone so I sent email. A 3rd guy replied that the noise was due to the fact that I did not install the clips and, if I would install the new set of pads with the clips that came in the box, the problem would be solved.

A day later I proceed to install the new pads with the new clips and I notice that there are 5 of one type and 3 of another! I can't install these so I call tech support again. This guy tells me that I should NOT install the clips that came in the box. He tells me they have had "problems" with these clips and they were supposed to have been removed "at the warehouse"!! I asked why Powerstop did not include instructions to this effect and he never gave me an answer.:confused: I asked him what I should do now... I have new pads but can't use the clips. Can he send me clips that will work? Basically, no. :banghead:

So they sell pads that cannot be installed on the Jeep and they do not inform the customer of this fact. Nowhere do they mention "Do not use the clips we provide because they or bad" nor do the mention that the customer has to locate an "installation kit" for these pads to work.

Powerstop needs to alert customers of these facts. IMHO, their Customer Support rates a ZERO and their Tech Support is even worse.

Fortunately, my parts supplier is 1st Class and Customer-Oriented and he is taking care of things.:)

Add your comment to this topic!