Page updated on 11-19-2017

Base kit to make Red Bull or Renault/Lotus F1?

roymattblack
05-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know if any of the currently available plastic F1 car kits are 'near enough' to use as a basis for converting to the Red Bull car, or the Renault Lotus??? (Even from a previous season or so, right back to 2008-ish)
I love both these cars, but nobody makes a plastic model of either, so I wondered about 'bodgeling' one myself from a donor kit.
Decals aren't a problem as I'll print my own.
Roy.

eyckles
05-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know if any of the currently available plastic F1 car kits are 'near enough' to use as a basis for converting to the Red Bull car, or the Renault Lotus??? (Even from a previous season or so, right back to 2008-ish)
I love both these cars, but nobody makes a plastic model of either, so I wondered about 'bodgeling' one myself from a donor kit.
Decals aren't a problem as I'll print my own.
Roy.

Maybe you can use the the F60 From tamiya.

Just a opinion

Best regards,
Lesley

jaykay640
05-28-2012, 05:54 PM
...or you can safe yourself a lot of time and get a resin kit!?

roymattblack
05-29-2012, 03:39 AM
I know there are resin kits out there, but I don't particularly want to spend astro-money on these cars.
I've got a huge stash of mega-kits already, and just wanted a 'cheapo' I could tinker with, with the hopes of ending up with a nice-ish result.
Roy.

exhaust smoke
05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
If you wait around, Fujimi may release one given that they are currently releasing new F1 kits at a fair rate of knots.

lezdep
05-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I know there are resin kits out there, but I don't particularly want to spend astro-money on these cars.
I've got a huge stash of mega-kits already, and just wanted a 'cheapo' I could tinker with, with the hopes of ending up with a nice-ish result.
Roy.
Tamiya F60, Fujumi F10 and Fujimi C30 are most modern plastic kits you can use as donors in 1/20.
There were special conversion decals released in Japan specifically for that at some point. You most likely
can still get them from bestbalsakits. However your total spent in the end will likely be more then cost
of MM kit, I predict.

I've entertained the idea of converting F10 to STR06 at some point. But talked myself out of it. Full aero
package would have needed to be scratch built or sources from donor MM RB6 kit. Plus decals have
to be sourced separately of course. Time consuming and not so cheap exercise.

Add your comment to this topic!