Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Monte Carlo

ftxlcincy
05-28-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm contemplating buying my sisters 01 LS with 42000 miles on it. She unable to drive anymore. Its always been outside, but is in great shape body wise. It has some problems and after reading through many pages of this forum, a lot of them are common with this car. The low coolant sensor comes on intermittently, it was fixed twice under warranty and once since. The 3400 intake gasket is also a problem. The blower motor only blows on high, sometimes. When it does blow the A/C does work. They put a new blower motor and resistor in it back in 2010. Looking through her paperwork there's been other electrical problems with the car that have been repaired. Are these problems going to drive me nuts trying to repair or should I just skip it.

Tech II
05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm contemplating buying my sisters 01 LS with 42000 miles on it. She unable to drive anymore. Its always been outside, but is in great shape body wise. It has some problems and after reading through many pages of this forum, a lot of them are common with this car. The low coolant sensor comes on intermittently, it was fixed twice under warranty and once since.

With a low coolant sensor, naturally the level has to be checked.....if I remember right, it is located in radiator near the passenger headlight.....See if level is ok.....then disconnect the sensor and the light should go out....if level is ok, and the light goes out when disconnected, then you either have a bad sensor or the sensor is contaminated by the fluid(this would require a new sensor and a coolant flush)....

The 3400 intake gasket is also a problem.

If you are losing coolant and see it externally near the lower intake gaskets, then yes you could have a problem....

The blower motor only blows on high, sometimes. When it does blow the A/C does work. They put a new blower motor and resistor in it back in 2010. Looking through her paperwork there's been other electrical problems with the car that have been repaired. Are these problems going to drive me nuts trying to repair or should I just skip it.

Usually it is the resistor block that is the problem.....those blocks can sometimes be taken out by water entering the fresh air duct, because the "dam" is missing or out of place....

Add your comment to this topic!