85 300zx gauges

HeWhoKillz
05-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I have an 85 300zx turbo with a 5 speed. The main cluster of gauges has the speedometer, tachometer, fuel, and temperature of the engine/coolant. Off to the side above the radio there is an oil gauge, which seems to have yet another engine/coolant gauge? It is above the oil gauge and doesn't work. Is this a completely different gauge? And then I have the boost gauge. What should this gauge read? It starts at -7, the middle is 0, and the end is 7. While at a stop the gauge will read at the middle mark between -7 and 0. Under heavy accelaration the gauge gets just about to the 0. I have no idea how to read this gauge. Any help would be great.

vgames33
07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Old thread, but I can answer it anyway.

The extra gauge is oil temp.

Boost/vac gauge should read low at idle/deceleration, around zero at cruise, and some positive number under heavy acceleration (not sure what factory boost is for 85, but its less than 7 psi). If yours stops at zero when accelerating, then you have an issue with the gauge, sender, lines, or turbo. Its either not reading right or the turbo isn't making boost.

Add your comment to this topic!