Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Plymth Grnd Vgr - Fault code 66

marcusells
05-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I have a 97 Plymth Grnd Vgyr. Driving yeserday home the service engine light came on. I checked the fault code this morning and code 66 was displayed on the service engine light. I did a google search and found out how to test the instrument cluster; which tested fine with code 999. Van has 203,341 miles and drives great.

Most recent History:
two days ago I started my van and drove about 400 feet. I noticed no tac, speedometer, dash displays at all. I thought it stalled, but pressed the pedal and the van lunged forwrad. I turned it off and put in park to restart. No change, but drove for 2 minutes before the clsuter panel started to work. No check engine light came on yet.

Recent History:
Last month I was driving on the interstate and the lights on the dash got dimmer to include the radio. I had the battery and charging system checked at Autozone and the battery was deffective. It was replaced with the charging system being ok.

On the interstate (65 MPH) through Tennessee the lights got dim again and all of a sudden everything died to include the engine for about 5-seconds and started up it self. I was still driving/coasting. When the dash lights and everything came back on, they were bright. After 12-15 minues it started the process all over again; shutting down and starting back up again. This happened 3 times in my 6-hour drive. The dealer in Alabama said it was the alterante and replaced it. No problems until now.

This has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned and I am not ready to give it up.

RIP
05-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Code 66 is saying you have lost data bus traffic from the BCM or the TCM. Most common fault is bad solder joints on the instrument cluster circuit board securing the connector to the board. You'll have to remove the cluster, remove the circuit board then resolder the connections. This is a common fault effecting 3rd generation vans. It commonly kills all or part of the cluster and can create stalling and starting problems. The good news? If it fixes it it's nearly a free fix. Another place to check is the heater control panel connection. It Frequently melts, opens the data bus circuit, and gives you a headache.

Sometimes smacking the dash above the instrument cluster can give you a temp fix. Not too hard though. You can bounce the instrument needles off the shafts.

BTW - Born and raised up north in Michigan City, In.

Add your comment to this topic!