Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 ford escape electrical question

seanpatrick1337
05-25-2012, 03:16 AM
I have an 04 escape its holding up well mechanicaly but barely can keep up with my electrical demands I have 2 twelve inch subs on a 700 watt amp and then for work I have four high powered halogen strobes and six low powered orange flashing lights and if I run the strobes or flashing lights for more then a few minutes and turn my truck off it stalls when turned back on and needs heavy reviving or high speeds of 70-90mph to recover its electrical charge and not turn itself off I was wondering if I got a second battery and maybe hooked up solar panels or an extra alternator or what options I have and can do I'm on relatively small budget though

65comet
05-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Cheapest is a second battery. Make sure it is connected correctly to keep 12 volts and not doubling to 24 volts. Of course the big issue is where to put it. If you have the V6 engine, there really isn't room under the hood. So you'll have to put it in back. Buy a box to put it in, buy a non-venting battery and the wires to run back to it. You can also see if there is an alternator available to swap in that puts out more amps than the stock. If it is a 4 cylinder engine, it is an easy change. For the V6, look for my post from when I had to replace mine for instructions if you go that route. Mine was slightly harder than normal due to a small front end accident had pushed things back, not leaving much room to get it out. An extra alternator is out of the question for a V6. No room. A 4 cylinder would be no picnic, and probably pretty expensive.

seanpatrick1337
05-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Cheapest is a second battery. Make sure it is connected correctly to keep 12 volts and not doubling to 24 volts. Of course the big issue is where to put it. If you have the V6 engine, there really isn't room under the hood. So you'll have to put it in back. Buy a box to put it in, buy a non-venting battery and the wires to run back to it. You can also see if there is an alternator available to swap in that puts out more amps than the stock. If it is a 4 cylinder engine, it is an easy change. For the V6, look for my post from when I had to replace mine for instructions if you go that route. Mine was slightly harder than normal due to a small front end accident had pushed things back, not leaving much room to get it out. An extra alternator is out of the question for a V6. No room. A 4 cylinder would be no picnic, and probably pretty expensive.

I have the V6 engine I actually have an upgraded alternator already would the second battery mess up the alternator? And how would I hook it up correctly I'm not to knowledgeable but I'm pretty good at connecting pieces with detailed instructions I could attach the battery to the subs and then follow the wires to the front? Sorry if I sound retarded hah

Add your comment to this topic!