Page updated on 11-18-2017

Memories of models from my childhood.

kitefighter
05-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Many years ago, back in the late 1970s, when I was a boy of around 12 years old, my then neighbours invited me and my parents over for a cup of tea in their lounge. On the sideboard, were two absolutely stunning kit built models in 1/12 scale.

My neighbour, an aero modeller had built a Corvette Stingray (looked like a late 60s/ early 70s) that reminded me of the car driven by Bill Bixby in the TV Series, "The Magician".

And the other looked like a Ferrari 275 GTB. I have to be honest, the Corvette didn't get a second look next to the Ferrari. Even my mother noticed how pretty it was.

I remember spending the entire evening looking at them (but not touching) and asking my neighbour about how he made them etc.

So my question is, does anyone know who made these models? My guess is that they may have been from Monogram.

Veyron
05-23-2012, 08:05 AM
One was sold by Revell and one by Renwal, I'm not sure if they are the same molds.

I once owned the Renwal kit and it wasn't bad for a kit of that era, that was over 12 years ago so I don't remember a lot about it. Probably had a lot of potential for a decent build for the experienced modeler but out of the box not that accurate. I didn't build it, I ended up selling the kit.

kitefighter
05-23-2012, 09:12 AM
One was sold by Revell and one by Renwal, I'm not sure if they are the same molds.

I once owned the Renwal kit and it wasn't bad for a kit of that era, that was over 12 years ago so I don't remember a lot about it. Probably had a lot of potential for a decent build for the experienced modeler but out of the box not that accurate. I didn't build it, I ended up selling the kit.

Thank you for this. I'll try and look for pictures online.

lovegt40
05-23-2012, 09:29 AM
vette can be also from Doyusha maybe?
Ferrari surely old revell kit.

star21
05-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Is this the Revell one you were referring to? They used to come up on eBay every once in awhile. Not sure about now, though.

The corvette was probably from Doyusha as others who have posted mentioned. I've seen several different incarnations of box covers but they appear to be the same kit. Doyusha also made Mustangs, Lotus's, Lancia's, etc.

http://oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/RevellH1287275GTB.JPG

http://www.hobbyxstyle.com/BaseProductImages/22/s400-1-12_doyusha_corvette_stingray.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!