Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I Hate Air Suspension Systems!

JAYTUCK
05-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I have a 2001 Expedition EB with everybody's favorite air suspension system. Here are my symptoms/problems:

1. Compressor dryer cap blew off when my kid was driving a couple days back. Rear air bags deflated. Front suspension seemed unaffected. Compressor and dryer are original equipment.

2. Bought new dryer and installed on existing compressor. Upon completion, closed both passenger and driver doors and started engine. Compressor fired up as expected. Rear air bags would not reinflate. Front suspension again seems unaffected. Could not hear any leaks over engine noise on air lines to rear of vehicle. Have not checked for leaks with soapy water at this point. No reason to believe there are any air leaks as all was working OK before dryer failed.

3. Was able to re-assemble original dryer (without "guts") and install back on compressor to rule out I purchased a bad/plugged dryer. Same result - rear air bags would not reinflate with compressor running as expected

4. Rear air bags replaced about 10 months ago. Inspected both and they look OK.

5. Rear level sensor replaced about 4 years (40K miles) ago.

6. Valves on both rear air bags are original.

I am thinking that one or both air bag valves may be bad? Would seem to be coincidence that one or both would fail at same time as dryer? Anyone know what may cause end cap to blow off these dryers?

Appreciate any thoughts... :runaround:

65comet
05-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Any thoughts? Well, you aren't going to like this one, could be expensive if you can't do the work yourself. But, might be a break even in the long run with the way those things always die. I'd swap out for a standard suspension.
I just want to state clearly to anyone else, and everyone get the word out, don't buy a Ford with an air suspension if you are going to keep it past the warrantee. It isn't if, but when will it break. And it will be expensive. I am a strong Ford man, but each make supporter knows of something their carmaker did that just isn't right. And this is one of them.
I hope that someone else that didn't know about how bad these are had a similar situation and can answer your question if you want to stay with that suspension.
Good luck. And if there isn't an answer here, you might want to try the F-150 and the FordTrucks forums. Google them, they should pop right up. They have sections on Expeditions.

erichzeppelin
06-01-2012, 04:15 PM
The air suspension system is very simple. you have the compressor with a vent solenoid on top to release air from system, located under the window washer fluid bottle, a relay located on the passenger side behind the bumper, a bi-directional valve located under the radiator and another located on the frame rail under the drivers seat, a level sensor at the left front tire and rear center axle. Turn your air suspension OFF. pull the air lines from both rear air bags, and FIRMLY reinstall, even a very small leak will keep the bags from inflating! If that fails, PM me!

Add your comment to this topic!