Page updated on 11-18-2017

Audi A4 and Mercedes C Class DTM Wheels

eyckles
05-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi guys,

I'm currently working on the Revell Audi A4 DTM(Ekstrom 2009) Mercedes C Class(Spenler 2009) and stupid little me i strippped the chrome plating from the wheels, lights and exhausts. After stripping the paint, i noticed there was a transparent carrier film. I started scratching on it with a toothpick, but i would go away. So my questions are. If i can't remove the carrier film, would it react when i spray primer on it(tamiya or zero) and are there replacement wheels available for these kits? Any information is welcome.

Best regards,
Lesley

gtziaf
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi guys,

I'm currently working on the Revell Audi A4 DTM(Ekstrom 2009) Mercedes C Class(Spenler 2009) and stupid little me i strippped the chrome plating from the wheels, lights and exhausts. After stripping the paint, i noticed there was a transparent carrier film. I started scratching on it with a toothpick, but i would go away. So my questions are. If i can't remove the carrier film, would it react when i spray primer on it(tamiya or zero) and are there replacement wheels available for these kits? Any information is welcome.

Best regards,
Lesley

Hello my friend... Something similar "lovegt40" wrote in his 458 GT2.
Try to wash and clean with a tooth brush.
Also I have the same problem with a california, I didn't notice it in first steps, so the alclad base primer, which I use, react with film. After that I strip the primer and the film, and paint the wheels again.
Hope it helps...

lovegt40
05-17-2012, 03:04 AM
exactly, u must remove all the trasparent film as George said.little by little it will come away.is a boring work,but is a must.

I absolutely dunno what that film is for.never seen it in other company cromed parts

jano11
05-17-2012, 04:58 AM
From my previous experience I can say that bleach will remove/soften that film and you can then clean it up with an old toothbrush.

eyckles
05-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Hi guys,

Ah crap. Those where not the answers that i was looking for:smile:, but thanks for the advice. Ive been working for 2 hours a wheel and i have 8 wheels to do, so do the math:smile:. I would love to spend my time on other things, than scratching. Are there replacement wheels available for these models? Like scaleproduction 18" OZ wheels and will they fit the revell kits? Thanks again for the advice friends.

Best regards,
Lesley

Exotics_Builder
05-17-2012, 08:59 AM
If you can get it, I've used Easy Lift Off and brushed it on. After soaking it loosens the lacquer film. Normally to strip "chrome" I start with soaking in white vinegar. It is slow, but much more benign than other chemicals. It does leave the lacquer film, though. That is where Easy Lift Off seems to work.

eyckles
05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
If you can get it, I've used Easy Lift Off and brushed it on. After soaking it loosens the lacquer film. Normally to strip "chrome" I start with soaking in white vinegar. It is slow, but much more benign than other chemicals. It does leave the lacquer film, though. That is where Easy Lift Off seems to work.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately its not available in Belgium. So i think i'm going to throw them in some brake fluid and will see what happens. Let's hope it works and if it doesn't i'll give mikezibit a shout.

Best regards,
Lesley

racer93
05-17-2012, 09:26 AM
What about the old stand-by, Castrol Super Clean? (AKA Purple Power.) Would that do the trick? I'm going to have to face this soon as well.

I really wish someone would just make some aftermarkets of them...

exhaust smoke
05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
I absolutely dunno what that film is for.never seen it in other company cromed parts

I believe the film is an alternative to providing a shiny background for the chrome (much like the gloss black required for Alclad).

I once stripped the chrome from a set of Aoshima wheels and it had a similar film. As the film was not disturbed, I applied Alclad straight onto the film and it worked fine.

jano11
05-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Ive been working for 2 hours a wheel and i have 8 wheels to do, so do the math:smile:. I would love to spend my time on other things, than scratching.

You're doing something wrong.
I used to leave the wheels in bleach for a day or so then scrub them for 5 minutes/piece and that was enough. You should be done in one hour with the 8 of them.

F1-Fan
05-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Did you try to contact Revell for replace parts? The Revell U.S. is good for that. Recently I lost a part from a Ferrari 360 Modena, I contact they with the part number I needed and they sent it for me.

Regards.

bbkbuys
05-20-2012, 03:05 AM
... So i think i'm going to throw them in some brake fluid and will see what happens...

Don't leave it in there too long, as it makes the plastic very very brittle

wim

fmk1983
07-20-2012, 07:39 AM
I would also go for what F1 Fan recommended.

hogs29
07-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Oven cleaner will do the trick. I use a brand called Mr Muscle, but any spray oven cleaner should work. I stripped the chrome off a set of Revell Corvette Z06 wheels last week, and there's nothing left but plastic now.
I put my parts to be stripped in an old Tupperware container, spray the cleaner on, flip the parts, and spray again. Then let the parts sit for about 15-20 minutes to let the cleaner do it's thing. A little wash in some warm soapy water with an old toothbrush will remove all traces.

turbothirtytwo
07-22-2012, 01:48 AM
do you have Domestos in Belgium? its chlorine detergent and works great, its fast and wash everything away from plastic. its Unilever brand product

eyckles
07-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Hi guys,

I have removed the film with oven cleaner like mr muscle. It didnt come of, but the film was very brittle after that. I removed a the film residue with a toothpick and some sanding. It didnt come out as i expected, but i will weather them. I can get domestos, but it's called glorix here in Belgium. Will definitely try it out.

Best regards,
Lesley

Pastis
10-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi guys,

I have removed the film with oven cleaner like mr muscle. It didnt come of, but the film was very brittle after that. I removed a the film residue with a toothpick and some sanding. It didnt come out as i expected, but i will weather them. I can get domestos, but it's called glorix here in Belgium. Will definitely try it out.

Best regards,
Lesley

Think Glorix or maybe "sodabrokken" (sorry dutch...) will do the trick

eyckles
10-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi Pastis,

I know the product, but haven't used it, because i ordered new chrome parts for the Merc and the Audi from Revell. They have an excellent service. I already finished the Merc: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1081882 and i currently working on the Audi(RedBull).

Best regards,
Lesley

Add your comment to this topic!