Page updated on 11-19-2017

eBay market dried up?

BVC500
05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I've been preparing to sell of a big chunk of my stash (kits, accessories, spare parts, Tamiya, Cobra Colors and Zero paints), as I've started a new job and have come to realize that I don't have the time to build all of the models that I want to.

I usually sell on eBay, but lately I've noticed there are very few models for sell on eBay, and mostly from international sellers. Have modelers abandoned eBay because of fee increases, or are modelers still holding onto their stashes because of low market prices? Do most of you still browse eBay for kits and just to determine market prices?

I'll probably list them on this forum first. If any don't sell, I'll then list on eBay, or maybe go to a show (dammit, I just missed Mid Atlantic NNL in Severna Park, MD near DC!) and sell them at a swap meet. Swap meets are good for selling kits that may have been started, right?

mattbacon
05-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Have modelers abandoned eBay because of fee increases, or are modelers still holding onto their stashes because of low market prices?

I find eBay is just very variable at the moment: I have a "Saved Search" for "1/24 Car model kits; auction only; location UK" and in the course of a week it can go from 3 pages of results to 8 pages.

If it helps you decide, it's still my "go-to" source for pretty much all the kits I'm still looking for. Mind you, if you have an old Monogram Aston DB4 or AMT Sunbeam Tiger that you want to let go at a reasonable price to someone who'll definitely BUILD the things, then let me know by PM ;-P

bestets,
M.

lovegt40
05-15-2012, 03:39 PM
it is becomed too expensive.
Fees are around 10% of what u sell..paypal takes other money too.Doesnt worth the selling there any longer.
There are many more better places to sell.also here inside forum is too better at all than ebay imho.

leafs004
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd argue there are several factors, all which revolve around money; Ebay fees, paypal fees, shipping always going up. Couple that with a weak economy, the market is not as lucrative as it once was. When Ebay started, many people saw it as a goldmine in selling their rare kits, and people who were looking for those kits loved it. Shipping was also a lot cheaper.

As a buyer, for me to buy off ebay, it has to be a rare kit, a small collection, or an ubelievable low price. If my online store sells it for $30 plus shipping, let's say $9, and a seller on ebay is offering it for $25 plus $9 shipping, I usually go with the online store. Why? I will probably wait and buy 3 or 4 kits, plus some supplies, even wait a little longer until they have a special on shipping, and suddenly I'm paying $33 for something that is new, in the wrap with perfect decals.

If I'm a seller, honestly, trying to moving a $20-30 kit just isn't worth my effort. I'll put it up here or another modeling site, or take it to a show to try and swing a trade. You have to be located in USA. Nothing against my European modeler bretherin, but I tried working out a trade with someone from Belgium. We were looking at spending $20 each to ship kits that we could get at our local store for $25. Mailing costs just made it not worth while.

So if your kits are very rare, ebay them, but if they're common kits, it's probably easier to try and sell them here or work out trades. You won't make money, but you may get something you want or save a few dollars on ebay fees for your trouble.

rallymaster
05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
To me one of the first reason is that Paypal rules forced sellers to propose only registered sending and so often offers shipping costs more exepnsive than models !! and of course it's less tempting for eventual buyers...
Also some other sites are increasing their activity, for example for France www.leboncoin.fr (http://www.leboncoin.fr)

360spider
05-15-2012, 09:34 PM
eBay is shooting itself in the foot. They protect the buyers soo much, that buyers started to take advantage of sellers. That, together with higher fees and unreal shipping costs, scared all the sellers away. eBay already dropped listing fees, mark my words, they soon will drop their FV fees, but the market is lost IMO. Corporate greed, as always, is the case.

chaos
05-15-2012, 10:58 PM
eBay is shooting itself in the foot. They protect the buyers soo much, that buyers started to take advantage of sellers.

I agree a 100% with this statement. It's the sellers that keep eBay in business by creating a market and providing a large avenue of income. But eBay is so biased towards the buyer.

star21
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM
I personally try to stay away from eBay now unless, as someone else stated, it's a rare kit or a great dirt cheap price. I absolutely HATE that eBay is flooded with Hong Kong sellers. It makes my searches that much harder from past experiences with those kind of sellers. I wish there was a feature that I could block sellers from certain regions but knowing eBay they wouldn't listen.

I definitely agree eBay is shooting themselves in the foot. Greedy, greedy, greedy. :shakehead

BVC500
05-15-2012, 11:52 PM
I personally try to stay away from eBay now unless, as someone else stated, it's a rare kit or a great dirt cheap price. I absolutely HATE that eBay is flooded with Hong Kong sellers. It makes my searches that much harder from past experiences with those kind of sellers. I wish there was a feature that I could block sellers from certain regions but knowing eBay they wouldn't listen.

I definitely agree eBay is shooting themselves in the foot. Greedy, greedy, greedy. :shakehead

Thanks for the comments guys. Look out or my list of stuff soon. My stash is mostly european cars. When I buy a kit, I try to get everything possible for the kit, including metal transfers and detail sets, so whatever I sell usually comes with extra bits.

There isn't a way to block international sellers, but you can filter your results to included just US sellers.

petesy
05-16-2012, 01:55 AM
I absolutely HATE that eBay is flooded with Hong Kong sellers.
I guess you won't be buying anything from me then. :evillol:

star21
05-16-2012, 02:56 AM
I guess you won't be buying anything from me then. :evillol:

Correct. :rofl::iceslolan

lovegt40
05-16-2012, 03:10 AM
a trick can be just contact the seller and ask for a message outside the ebay platform.
not so rare to found people making good discounts and able to sell it without website. ebay becomes just an advise to say:hey, I have this! interested?

yes, of course it is forbidden by ebay, but it always works.Usually when auction is ended and item remains unsold

MidMazar
05-16-2012, 08:35 AM
For one paypal is a an ebay company. Maybe people are sitting on their stashes for when they retire they can have some spending fiat money. :lol: Plus who needs ebay when you have a great classifieds section like we do here!!

sky1911
05-16-2012, 03:23 PM
well to me ebay is usually worth a check. however it can be very frustrating, as with everything they sell there. be it new kits or whatever other gear. some people bid for stuff that is used or not mint and pay more than what you would have to pay in an online store for a brandspanking new part. i've seen it with kits, die cast, computer hardware - anything. sometimes it makes me wonder why - are people really that dense. don't answer that.
then there's the other frustrating bit. i saw a kit for one of the 935's recently. i was ready to pay the asking price, but the guy only offered shipping to the us, so i emailed him and he again said no shipping to europe offered. that really ticked me off - i guess he's got his reasons, most likely bad experiences. thing is the prices for that kit over here are through the roof, like people would pay anything to get it.
reminds me of the time i saw the rosso wrx 643 f1 1/8 kit on ebay, going for well over 2 grand (euros). i bought mine new in a shop in the 90s for what would translate to 300eur nowadays. yes it's rare, but i don't think it is worth quite that much. not that i ever intend to sell mine ;)

as a seller, i guess ebay offers you means to gauge the market worth of parts for the uninitiated. remove a couple % of the successful ebay bids and you have the actual "market" value.

and re some of what was said above. at times ebay is like a dried up lake if you're looking for something in particular (my hunting grounds are the big scales) and a couple weeks later it's like the floodgates have opened - for no apparent reason.
anyway, i also tend to think it's a seasonal thing. summer = less building, more time outside, less stuff on ebay. winter = less time outside, more building, more options on ebay.

Jocache83
05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
anyone know or recommend a auction/sell site besides ebay or emodelcars?

Thanks,
Joel

cinqster
05-16-2012, 07:46 PM
For one paypal is a an ebay company. Maybe people are sitting on their stashes for when they retire they can have some spending fiat money. :lol: Plus who needs ebay when you have a great classifieds section like we do here!!

Maybe people are sitting on their stashes for when they retire so they don't have to participate in mindless activities, like golf?

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb224/cinqster-photo/Errr.jpg

:icon16:

cjsbosox
05-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Maybe people are sitting on their stashes for when they retire so they don't have to participate in mindless activities, like golf?

A WHOLE ROOM FOR KITS!!!!???? :runaround:

cinqster
05-17-2012, 09:36 AM
A WHOLE ROOM FOR KITS!!!!???? :runaround:

LOL...no! I'm in the middle of moving this week (this is the room that's been designated as my modelling room). Just spent the week boarding the attic - they're all up there now, safely away from my ladies!:evillol:

jano11
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
eBay isn't anymore what it used to be.
Whatever I look for on eBay over 80% or the articles are sold be professional sellers or shops and the prices are usually over the price that I would pay in an online shop or even in a local shop.
Not to mention the incredibly high shipping costs that many sellers are asking for, especially the German and US sellers have a habit of overdoing it.
I rarely sell or buy on eBay anymore, it is not worth it anymore.

BVC500
05-17-2012, 01:29 PM
yeah, the shipping is ridiculous. I'm more than happy to sell to international customers, and I only charge the actual cost of shipping (not my time or for supplies), but I sorta feel bad for the buyers because int'l shipping costs are $20-35 dollars.

nugundam93
05-17-2012, 05:37 PM
noticed too that nowadays you don't see much of kits on ebay...a lot are now those die-casts from china.

really sucks this time to be looking for old kits on ebay. needs more time too to find one you like, unlike before that you can go on the site and a search will always give you what you're looking for.

bvc, would you mind sharing with us what you're planning to sell? :D

MidMazar
05-18-2012, 09:04 AM

I see many 1/12 models!!! :eek:

CrateCruncher
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
eBay isn't anymore what it used to be.
Whatever I look for on eBay over 80% or the articles are sold be professional sellers or shops and the prices are usually over the price that I would pay in an online shop or even in a local shop.
Not to mention the incredibly high shipping costs that many sellers are asking for, especially the German and US sellers have a habit of overdoing it.
I rarely sell or buy on eBay anymore, it is not worth it anymore.

I agree. Ebay peaked as an "auction site for collectors" about 2003 and has been in decline ever since. When collector/sellers no longer trust there will be enough bids to make it worth risking a low starting bid you end up with a retail site. The 7 day live-auction price is a fraction of what it once was. (Super-rare stuff can still do well if it's marketed right but it takes more than 7 days.....)

Now that it is free to list week after week there's been a marked increase in amateur retailers listing hundreds (thousands even) of common items at or above MSRP week after week after week. Unfortunately, this crowds out the rare and interesting stuff that most of us actually go to eBay for!

Shipping to Europe has gotten way outa hand too but it isn't greedy American sellers. The US post office has hiked fees way up and made it difficult to ship anything without Priority Level service (no tracking, no insurance). I'm hoping DHL or some other service will step up and offer some competition but for now it's tough to sell a $100 model when it takes $55 to ship it to the UK.

Vette Modeller
05-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Enjoyed this thread since it reflected many of the thoughts that I've come to think about ebay and confirmed my decision not to buy there anymore. To me it all seemed to start when paypal become the sole payment method and fees & postage have continued to rise since then. As a Canadian I've discovered what some of the European posters have, sellers who won't send outside the US and shipping costs that are higher then the cost of the purchased kit. I have more kits in my stash now, then I'll build in my lifetime so even if it's a kit that I'd like I'll to without or find elsewhere.

petesy
05-25-2012, 11:38 PM
One thing I don't understand is the hatred towards PayPal. Does anyone remember the days before PayPal?

Getting money order whose fee costs more than the purchase itself; having a myriad of money orders that may or may not be cashable by the seller; money order getting lost in the mail; seller getting a counterfeit money order or cheque that bounced a week after the item is shipped off; buyer wiring money through Western Union, only to never hear from the seller again...

The fee might be high for PayPal, but I find the convenience far outweighs it.

360spider
05-26-2012, 09:56 AM
One thing I don't understand is the hatred towards PayPal. Does anyone remember the days before PayPal?

Getting money order whose fee costs more than the purchase itself; having a myriad of money orders that may or may not be cashable by the seller; money order getting lost in the mail; seller getting a counterfeit money order or cheque that bounced a week after the item is shipped off; buyer wiring money through Western Union, only to never hear from the seller again...

The fee might be high for PayPal, but I find the convenience far outweighs it.

Convenience - yes. Price and exclusivity - no. There are other services similar to Paypal that are MUCH cheaper, and better, but they are not allowed on eBay cause Paypal is an ebay company and has a monopoly on eBay payments. this is what drives the hatred of Paypal.

firun
05-26-2012, 03:54 PM
360spider, well if to be absolutely precise, eBay supports 3rd-party payment systems like Moneybookers. But anyway PayPal is so popular and it was the first successful payment system that it's still unbeatable. Of course without eBay it wouldn't be so unbeatable :)

Add your comment to this topic!