Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

front differential R&R

mishalah
05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
I've been thinking about either rebuilding or swapping out my front differential because of the noises I am hearing from it. I'm pretty sure the bearings need replacing. As I was looking for parts/replacement I discovered that I don't have the 3.73 axles that I thought, but according to the only relevant code I could find is GU6, which is 3.42. Since both front and rear have to be the same it must be right.

But these front drives also exist in other GM vehicles with the same code. HOWEVER...mine has AWD. On Ebay I can see where some sellers will list the ones that will NOT work in my system, but I cannot figure out what designates that for sure.

How can be sure EXACTLY which parts or units will work in my 2005 K1500 LT AWD Suburban???

j cAT
05-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I've been thinking about either rebuilding or swapping out my front differential because of the noises I am hearing from it. I'm pretty sure the bearings need replacing. As I was looking for parts/replacement I discovered that I don't have the 3.73 axles that I thought, but according to the only relevant code I could find is GU6, which is 3.42. Since both front and rear have to be the same it must be right.

But these front drives also exist in other GM vehicles with the same code. HOWEVER...mine has AWD. On Ebay I can see where some sellers will list the ones that will NOT work in my system, but I cannot figure out what designates that for sure.

How can be sure EXACTLY which parts or units will work in my 2005 K1500 LT AWD Suburban???

most likely the hub bearing[s] are the problem.

gmtech1
05-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Check with a GM parts dealer on parts usage. Have seen many of the AWD diff's make noise, it's ususllay the side (carrier) bearings. The locks for the side bearing adjusters break, allowing the preload to go away, wasting the bearings. If you repair it, replace the pinion bearings and the side bearings. You will most likley need a new lock tab also. The threaded sleave just punches out to replace the tab, then just drive the sleave back in. A special spanner wrench is required to set the bearing preload, but it can be done with a punch and hammer.

mishalah
05-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Check with a GM parts dealer on parts usage. Have seen many of the AWD diff's make noise, it's ususllay the side (carrier) bearings. The locks for the side bearing adjusters break, allowing the preload to go away, wasting the bearings. If you repair it, replace the pinion bearings and the side bearings. You will most likley need a new lock tab also. The threaded sleave just punches out to replace the tab, then just drive the sleave back in. A special spanner wrench is required to set the bearing preload, but it can be done with a punch and hammer.

Thanks guys. I'll have to rely on someone else to handle the rebuild/repair, though. Since my arthritis has attacked my wrists and hands I can't put much leverage on them. I'd love to do this myself if I could.

This low growl I get is not very noticeable if I'm coasting, but even a slight throttle lets me know its really there. I tried to find a way to get into only 2 wheel drive, but it's not possible. Hub bearings woud be a whole lot easier and cheaper, but even the dealer wrote it down when I had the bugger in for that stupid failed PCM.

ukrkoz
05-13-2012, 08:31 PM
why don't you start with simple, and, actually, do replace diff fluid in it?

ukrkoz
05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
along with transfer case one?

mishalah
05-13-2012, 11:17 PM
why don't you start with simple, and, actually, do replace diff fluid in it?

Already been done about 10,000 miles ago...and checked a week ago. The growling has been audible for at least 5000 miles. I had others listen, but we weren't sure if it was "normal" for AWD/4WD systems like this.

Add your comment to this topic!