Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to hookup fuel injector tool for cleaning injectors

pprince72
05-11-2012, 07:31 PM
1998 K1500 5.7, What is the easiest way to hook up a Fuel Injection Cleaner tool (OTC) that hooks up to the Schrader valve to clean the injectors. The OTC application manual says "Unplug fuel pump, fuel tank at left frame rail" which to me is a little vague to me.
Looking on line I found instructions that say Unplug the fuel pump fuse and I assume they mean fuel pump relay. Then block the fuel return line leading from the injectors to the fuel tank which to do doesn't look easy to accomplish. Would this be the best and easiest way?
Any help would be appreciated. FYI 250,000 miles on the injectors so this is the first cleaning.

j cAT
05-11-2012, 07:40 PM
1998 K1500 5.7, What is the easiest way to hook up a Fuel Injection Cleaner tool (OTC) that hooks up to the Schrader valve to clean the injectors. The OTC application manual says "Unplug fuel pump, fuel tank at left frame rail" which to me is a little vague to me.
Looking on line I found instructions that say Unplug the fuel pump fuse and I assume they mean fuel pump relay. Then block the fuel return line leading from the injectors to the fuel tank which to do doesn't look easy to accomplish. Would this be the best and easiest way?
Any help would be appreciated. FYI 250,000 miles on the injectors so this is the first cleaning.

the return line can be squeezed closed using a lock pliers. fuel pump relay
should work easy ..some vehicles unplugging the pump assy is easy.

first test out the the pump is indeed off. this will also drain off excessive fuel pressure when you attempt to start. then hook up the cleaner.

FishFind
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Does the cleaner make a diff???

pprince72
05-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks J cat everything went great. The truck runs great, more power and runs smoother on acceleration. Thanks again!

j cAT
05-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks J cat everything went great. The truck runs great, more power and runs smoother on acceleration. Thanks again!

with the high mileage they do require some extra powerful cleaning chemicals.

use a few oz. of marvel mystery oil to each fill up to clean the entire fuel system . just 1 OZ per 10 gallon of fuel. this will over several fill ups clean up alot of issues .

danielsatur
05-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Any diesel shop can micro bath, blow out, and test the flow rate on your injectors.
''Out of car injector service''

I can actually set a glass of wine on my running engine without spilling a drop.

Add your comment to this topic!