Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Silverado Brake Issue

chrizg
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I have a 1999 Silverdo with 202k miles. I've recently had the bads, rotors, and some other misc parts replaced. Was about a 2k job at the dealership. The other day when pulling into work, I turned to park at a slow speed, went to stop and the pedal went solid, and wouldn't depress and the truck would not brake and I had to bounce off a curb to stop. At times at a slow speed, the brake pedal will give feed back like the abs is kicking in. When driving if I hit a bump, the red brake light and abs light will come on, and stay on until the truck is turned off and back on.

I took it back to the dealership thinking it was something to do with the recent work, but they are telling me that the Electronic Brake Control Module is bad and needs repalced $1300. I do not want to spend another 1300 on the truck. It is a addt truck that I use to haul gaming equipment around.

Couple of questions. Is the EBCM and ABS the same thing? Can I pull the abs fuse to disable the ABS and fix the issue?

This is the first time the brake pedal went stiff and the truck wouldn't stop. Is this a ABS issue or EBCM?

Help.. Thanks

MT-2500
05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
I have a 1999 Silverdo with 202k miles. I've recently had the bads, rotors, and some other misc parts replaced. Was about a 2k job at the dealership. The other day when pulling into work, I turned to park at a slow speed, went to stop and the pedal went solid, and wouldn't depress and the truck would not brake and I had to bounce off a curb to stop. At times at a slow speed, the brake pedal will give feed back like the abs is kicking in. When driving if I hit a bump, the red brake light and abs light will come on, and stay on until the truck is turned off and back on.

I took it back to the dealership thinking it was something to do with the recent work, but they are telling me that the Electronic Brake Control Module is bad and needs repalced $1300. I do not want to spend another 1300 on the truck. It is a addt truck that I use to haul gaming equipment around.

Couple of questions. Is the EBCM and ABS the same thing? Can I pull the abs fuse to disable the ABS and fix the issue?

This is the first time the brake pedal went stiff and the truck wouldn't stop. Is this a ABS issue or EBCM?

Help.. Thanks

Was it a one time deal or all time?

What was ABS code no?

ABS works threw the EBCM.

I would go to a good bone yard and find one.

Usually 75-150$ for used.

MT-2500
05-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Pulling ABS fuse may disable ABS but no brake is another prioblem not ABS.
Could be pump motor no building pressure.

chrizg
05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
The stiff brake pedal has only happend once. I am asking if there was any ABS codes. I think the EBCM has been bad for a while, I know my parents had issues with the breaking system and they were givin a quote in the past to replace for around 1000.

I am wondering if this is a brake booster issue (does this truck have one?)

Or a issue with a brake caliper pison seizing up? I did have those replaced on the last visit because one was engaging all the time.

chrizg
05-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Online I have found people talking about wheel/speed sensors causing this, and possible air in the brake lines. I called the dealer, and they are saying that it is the EBCM for sure causing this issue. sigh

chrizg
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
What does the EBCM actually control/do? Is it only related to ABS?

I feel like the dealer is just starting at the most expensive part. What about a possible vac booster leak, rusty brake lines? air in lines? speed sensors?

gmtech1
05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
The EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) controls the operation of the Anti-lock brakes (ABS). Like the ECM controls the engine operation. Yes, usually its a speed sensor that causes the low speed ABS activation, there could still be a problem with the EBCM. Knowing what codes are stored would us. Depending on your options in your location, you could get a second opinion also.

chrizg
05-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Here is the notes from the inspection

"ABS Codes C0241 C0254 ebcm control valve circuit, Dia internal failure in ebcm also has abs will activate at stop at times, right front wheel speed sensor drops out, needs right front hub and ebcm"

I pulled the 60amp ABS fuse and drove it home, no issues on braking so far but need to test more to see if the pedal will go rock hard again.

On a side note - the time when the pedal went solid, and the abs pulsing at very slow speeds the abs/brake light never came on. The only times they would come on, is when I hit a decent size bump and would not turn back on when the truck was restarted until another bump. They are on now, due to pulling the fuse.

gmtech1
05-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I checked the diagnostic steps for those codes, and if they followed the steps, it does lead to a EBCM failure, and also looks like a speed sensor problem. Sounds like you have two issues with the ABS system.

chrizg
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
If I leave the 60amp fuse out, can I continue to drive the truck with the ABS disabled?

I might send the EBCM to this http://www.modulemaster.com/ if it is the repairable type.

chrizg
05-10-2012, 04:09 PM
The only thing that will not work is the ABS part of the brakes? Everything else should be ok? Even if the EBCM is bad, the brakes will not have any issues other than ABS?

MT-2500
05-10-2012, 05:13 PM
The only thing that will not work is the ABS part of the brakes? Everything else should be ok? Even if the EBCM is bad, the brakes will not have any issues other than ABS?
:nono::nono::nono::nono:
It needs to be fixed first.
Before you kill yourself or somebody else.

chrizg
05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
:nono::nono::nono::nono:
It needs to be fixed first.
Before you kill yourself or somebody else.

Because of no abs or other potential issues?

Add your comment to this topic!