Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard shift clunking 96 chev 4x4 cheyenne

tinkering
05-09-2012, 02:02 AM
Our 96 Chev Cheyenne C/K 4x4 is intermittently shifting hard around 20km/hr and 60km/hr. In the old days I might think a vacuum modulator or something but what might it be for a 1996? Is there a number of things I can check? Do I need to get a code checker? Someone said it might be the computer. The fluid is up and I put in a couple of jugs of conditioner a number of months ago :uhoh:

MT-2500
05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Our 96 Chev Cheyenne C/K 4x4 is intermittently shifting hard around 20km/hr and 60km/hr. In the old days I might think a vacuum modulator or something but what might it be for a 1996? Is there a number of things I can check? Do I need to get a code checker? Someone said it might be the computer. The fluid is up and I put in a couple of jugs of conditioner a number of months ago :uhoh:

What kind of conditioner?

It needs to be cheked out on a transmission/engine capable scanner.
Code readers are not very goo on transmissiom problems.
Some auto parts places can read out codes for you for free.
Get any code no's they can come up with and post back full code no.

j cAT
05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

hard shifting means the transmission pressure is at max pressure. this means there is slippage. have the drivetrain codes pulled and have the transmission checked for these issues quickly.

tinkering
05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
What kind of conditioner?

It needs to be cheked out on a transmission/engine capable scanner.
Code readers are not very goo on transmissiom problems.
Some auto parts places can read out codes for you for free.
Get any code no's they can come up with and post back full code no.

I put in one bottle of GUNK TRANS-MEDIC. I forgot to put the other bottle in. Is it worth it now; do you think changing the fluid and filter might help with an intermittent hard shift?
I will look around to see if someone can do a free code scan.

j cAT
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I put in one bottle of GUNK TRANS-MEDIC. I forgot to put the other bottle in. Is it worth it now; do you think changing the fluid and filter might help with an intermittent hard shift?
I will look around to see if someone can do a free code scan.

transmedic is a good product. I have used this over the years. prior to replacing dexron III I would add a bottle and run for several hundred miles prior to droping the pan and replacing the filter/fluid. does a good job cleaning up the internals.

NO IT WILL NOT REPAIR A WORN TRANSMISSION !

first get the diagnostics done post here . then see if its in need of major work.

tinkering
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
No free scans available here.
First shop said sure, scan is $40.
Second shop said, likely the shift solenoid on the valve body, bring it in for scan, diagnosis, and pull pan $80.
Third shop said, not a code issue because check engine light had never come on, probably mechanical bring it in.
Fourth shop said, go to oil change place for power flush ($170) before starting mechanical work, also said, not likely a code issue because check engine light had never been lit.:cwm27:

The fluid is beautiful clear pink with zero burn smell; seems like a waste to throw it out.

MT-2500
05-10-2012, 03:30 PM
No free scans available here.
First shop said sure, scan is $40.
Second shop said, likely the shift solenoid on the valve body, bring it in for scan, diagnosis, and pull pan $80.
Third shop said, not a code issue because check engine light had never come on, probably mechanical bring it in.
Fourth shop said, go to oil change place for power flush ($170) before starting mechanical work, also said, not likely a code issue because check engine light had never been lit.:cwm27:

The fluid is beautiful clear pink with zero burn smell; seems like a waste to throw it out.

First You will need to get a good scan at a good repair shop.
Post back any code no.
You can not out think or fix over phone.
I would let the first shop check it out

transman618
05-16-2012, 10:24 PM
First of all, I agree with MT-2500. Get it scanned for codes first. Stay away from the conditioners for now.
No, just because you have a harsh shift, it DOES NOT mean that the line pressure is maxed out. Worn, leaking accumulators will cause harsh shifting. Other mechanical issues will cause harsh shifting. Shift solenoids will not cause harsh shifting. Flush?? Definitely not. You need to have a good independant transmission shop diagnose it. NOT one of these large chain transmission shops but a small mom and pop type transmission shop.
I have been building 4L60E's since the first day they came into service and I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that you are most likely experiencing a mechanical issue.

transman

tinkering
05-17-2012, 10:06 AM
First of all, I agree with MT-2500. Get it scanned for codes first. Stay away from the conditioners for now.
No, just because you have a harsh shift, it DOES NOT mean that the line pressure is maxed out. Worn, leaking accumulators will cause harsh shifting. Other mechanical issues will cause harsh shifting. Shift solenoids will not cause harsh shifting. Flush?? Definitely not. You need to have a good independent transmission shop diagnose it. NOT one of these large chain transmission shops but a small mom and pop type transmission shop.
I have been building 4L60E's since the first day they came into service and I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that you are most likely experiencing a mechanical issue.

transman

I appreciate your authoritative input (and MT-2500's). Thanks a bunch. :thumbsup: I will get that scan done and get back to this thread.

Add your comment to this topic!