Page updated on 11-18-2017

transferring paint from a spray can to airbrush.

Hemi Killer
05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
how do you guys do this. Can I just spray it into a small jar, then airbrush?

RonCla
05-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I've always just sealed a drinking straw to the spray can nozzle with some blu tack then sprayed it in to a disposable plastic cup. Once it has gassed out and warmed to room temperature I transfer it to the airbrush

CFarias
05-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Also wear surgical gloves otherwise your hands will get covered in paint from any potential overspray.

You'll also need some jars to keep the paint you don't use. The size of jar you need depends on the size of the spray paint can you are using. As a rule of thumb, take the weight of the paint as it is written on the spray can (this is usually near the bottom of the can's label) and multiply it by 0.6. The answer is how much volume of paint that is within the can.

For example, a 5 oz can of spray paint will yeild about 3 fl oz of paint (5 x 0.6 = 3) so you'll need at least a 3 oz jar. For Testors and Tamiya paints I usually get about 2 fl oz out of them. For large 11 oz spray cans I usually get about 6 fl oz.

This is assuming you want to get all the paint out of the spray can. If you just want a little bit then follow RonCla's method. Especially the part of letting the paint gas out.

Archetype123
05-09-2012, 02:29 AM
I followed this article my first time around doing this last year. Worked like a charm...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=301

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-09-2012, 08:10 AM
The following is basically what I do:

http://public.fotki.com/grdeyed/model_cars-1/decanting-spray-paint/

Now I don't bother w/the blue tack; I just hold the straw in place and shoot the paint into the mixing cup. I do this inside my spray box. Wear disposable gloves, there might be a small amount of splatter but generally not much at all, and be careful where you set the straw after decanting, it dribbles paint, I leave it in the cup as a stirrer. I've gotten where I can usually be fairly accurate how much paint I need to decant for a session. I almost always have to add a little thinner to decanted paint to run smoothly through my airbrush. Mr. Color Thinner for hobby lacquers. 5-10 minutes of resting after decanting and it's usually good to go. Don't decant into a jar and put a lid on it until well after decanting. You don't want an explosion when you take the lid off...

Hemi Killer
05-09-2012, 08:13 AM
thanks guys

nugundam93
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
... 5-10 minutes of resting after decanting and it's usually good to go. ...

never thought it'd be good to go after that quick. i'd wait an hour or more.

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-09-2012, 01:23 PM
never thought it'd be good to go after that quick. i'd wait an hour or more.

If it still bubbles a bit when I pour into the metal airbrush cup, I wait a little longer. Sometimes it takes less than 5 minutes if it is just a small amount. Waiting an hour is complete overkill unless perhaps you emptied an entire can. I save tons of paint using the airbrush; I can paint 2-3 bodies w/1 can of decanted paint. I decant the paint, set it aside while I set up for the paint session. A small amount of remaining propellant won't be a problem at least in an open airbrush cup; too much and it affects the spray pattern.

Hemi Killer
05-09-2012, 05:17 PM
What about in hot weather. Over 100 here already about 80 inside but with heat coming through the window in the room

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
What about in hot weather. Over 100 here already about 80 inside but with heat coming through the window in the room

If anything your wait to spray will be less. Put the open container near the window, it will warm up in no time and be ready to spray.

Add your comment to this topic!