Page updated on 11-23-2017

Leaking lacquer thinner cans

KevHw
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't been the most active member lately because so much other stuff has taken priority in my life. As a result I haven't been modelling for possibly a year or so. In that time I have stored my paints away untouched until recently I noticed a distinct smell of paint thinner. I checked out my paint storage and found that the tins of thinner had developed a very small leak on the bottom edge. There also appear to be very small spots of rust.

Has anyone else experienced the paint thinner tins rusting/developing leaks like this? Specifically these are the Zero Paints Cellulose Thinner cans. I can assume that humidity in the air over time would be the reason for rust to form but I was under the impression that the metal surface was galvanised (or at least coated) to some degree to prevent any rusting. The cans have not been subject to abrasives or scratches whilst under my care so I would not have expected there to be any points of weakness on the surface for rust to even form. Also I have been storing my thinner in the similar way before, albeit not standing untouched for such a long length of time.

How do you all store your thinner? I'm very disappointed to discover the leak not only since it's uneconomical but also as there was uncontrolled solvent vapours released into the air. I have a brand new unopened can of Zero Paints Airbrush Cleaner which I noticed also has begun to develop very small spots of rust on the bottom edging but thankfully without leaking...yet. Do you guys think transferring the new Airbrush Cleaner into a jam jar of sorts be a better option? Do you have any tips on making an airtight seal on the jar?

Sorry for the long post but I hope this will help bring awareness to other people who might have a potential leaking can issue too.

Kev

(On a side note, I also store my compressor in the same place. It has an air tank and I have left the drainage valve open to allow air to freely flow in and out of the tank. Do I then need to be concerned about rust inside the tank? Would it be best to screw the drainage valve back on for long-time storage?)

Your suggestions and advice is much appreciated!

RonCla
05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I've never had a issue with solvent cans leaking in over 40+ years of use. I do see some light surface rust on the outside of the cans occasionally but the insides are always coated and are as good as new despite long term storage.

As for the bleed valve I always open it when the tank is pressurized so any moisture inside will be blown out. I always leave the bleed valve loose afterwards but I'm unsure if there is a correct practice for this

KevHw
05-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I've never had a issue with solvent cans leaking in over 40+ years of use. I do see some light surface rust on the outside of the cans occasionally but the insides are always coated and are as good as new despite long term storage.

As for the bleed valve I always open it when the tank is pressurized so any moisture inside will be blown out. I always leave the bleed valve loose afterwards but I'm unsure if there is a correct practice for this
Hi RonCla, thanks for your reply. It's made me realise I have stated the wrong valve: I meant to say the drainage valve at the base of the tank. I've edited my OP to correct this.

Your 40+ years experience of zero leaking further worries my thoughts of if it could possibly be just a quality control slip-up with my specific can?

RonCla
05-07-2012, 11:44 PM
I would think there is a quality control issue with the tins your solvents came in.

When I said the bleed valve I did actually mean the drainage valve at the bottom of the tank.

Vette Modeller
05-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I've had tins of lacquer thinner sitting around for a decade or more and have never seen one leak. As for rust, never on the inside and on the outside surface only if stored in damp locations.

lovegt40
05-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I had the same problem, but this always come with low quality paints I found around in brico store.
Think is a problem when they make the can.

Tamiya cans are perfect also after 10 yrs.

turbothirtytwo
05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
you are doing good when leaving drain valve open. I didnt do that and i have tank full of rusty pieces, it doesnt affect painting but one day there will be hole in it I think

CFarias
05-09-2012, 12:58 AM
The leaking tin definitely sounds like a manufacturer's defect and is most likely not related to the rust you found on the outside.

I use polyethyline bottle to store my paints and solvents. These seal well and a 500 mL bottle can be had for about $3 US. I've included a link to the types I use here:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/bottlesMedication?productId=10000243&green=914C93A9-B140-5E51-A8C0-0A76138649F8

I would not however store in these bottle for more than two years. The bottles do, very slowly, react with the solvents over time turning yellow and brittle. In 18 years this has only happened to me once but I replace the bottles every other year just to be safe. I've not had any problems storing paint, just pure solvents like acetone or lacquer thinner.

Add your comment to this topic!