Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

are you afraid

shadows
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I have a 2008 Escape 4WD & 2009 Escape 4WD- V6's
2 trips driving to and from CB Colorado in March
1st trip took the 08- 2nd trip the 09
the 09 driving 69 mph and for mileage- got 30.999 in 343 miles
08 got 27.881
1.7 miles difference

problem- the 09 has the orange engine light on- would mean emission service/check-

09 has 42,282 miles- 08 has 59,871 miles

I stopped in at Ford- where I bought both of these-
no problem- "we'll hook them up to the computer and we'll see what's wrong"

ahhhhhh-
"don't really want you to do that, not sure I'll ever get gas mileage like this after"

Service manager paused- sort of didn't have a response

65comet
05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
One of the sensors could be picking up a "too lean" condition, and that would trigger the engine light while storing a related code. The code can be read at most automotive part stores for free. A lean condition, though it might give you slightly better mileage, can lead to burning a hole in the top of your pistons if it goes to an extreme. I'd at least get the code read.

shadows
05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
thanks- good point-

so most parts stores would let you plug in their reader and be able to accurately read, get the code#, pinpoint the problem, tell you exactly where the issue is, and what to do about it

65comet
05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
They will read the code, they might tell you the most common cause. And they might not tell you. I think some are worried they will get in trouble if they tell you the wrong thing is the cause of the problem, so they will just give you the code depending on the store. So you take the code and search, the forum and the internet in general, for what may be the culprit.

shadows
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Took it to the dealer-
very interesting- once they had the reading they asked me to come take a look

Emission vaccum leak- showed it was at the gas tank inlet
blew the sand out- sand roads arround here-

shut down vehicle- waited the amount of time it said- started it up- system went into diagnose mode- scanned quite a bit- stated emission system ok-

went back to inlet- pushed in the nozzle entry opening- whoooosh- could hear vacuum released- back to computer- showed Emission System leak- at the tank inlet

anyway- quite the operation to see the readings, system check, diagnossis, procedure to clear system- check again

Service manager comes to me with something to sign-

Design flaw, covered under warranty

I gave him a $20.00 bill and said it was for some beer for you and the mechanic- he just smiled

snipez
10-13-2012, 09:33 PM
I have a 2008 Escape 4WD & 2009 Escape 4WD- V6's
2 trips driving to and from CB Colorado in March
1st trip took the 08- 2nd trip the 09
the 09 driving 69 mph and for mileage- got 30.999 in 343 miles
08 got 27.881
1.7 miles difference

problem- the 09 has the orange engine light on- would mean emission service/check-

09 has 42,282 miles- 08 has 59,871 miles

I stopped in at Ford- where I bought both of these-
no problem- "we'll hook them up to the computer and we'll see what's wrong"

ahhhhhh-
"don't really want you to do that, not sure I'll ever get gas mileage like this after"

Service manager paused- sort of didn't have a response

Probably not the problem but have you recently gotten a locking gas cap by chance?

shadows
10-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Probably not the problem but have you recently gotten a locking gas cap by chance?

Hi- nope, the "09" would be an interesting proposition- it's one of those "Fords Better Idea of Not Having A Gas Cap"

Add your comment to this topic!