Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Olds 98 A/C cuts out

dghawk
05-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Hi All!!
I have a 93 Olds 98 with approx 98K miles. I have previously (years ago) converted the A/C to R134a. Lately, the A/C has been working fine for approx. 5 minutes, then it cuts out. I had the A/C level and pressures checked Saturday and they are fine (system is full). This weekend, when it cut out, I jumpered the wires at the cycling switch on the accumulator, and the compressor started running again. So naturally, I replaced the accumulator cycling switch. Drove the car again and same result - A/C ran well for about 5 minutes and then it cut out. Has anyone had the same problem and fixed it? Any good ideas? Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Dave.

brcidd
05-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Could be an air gap that is too wide, next time it quits and should be engaged- tap on front of compressor with a wooden hammer handle- if clutch pulls in- your air gap needs re-adjusted to .020"

Magnetic clutch coils can pull in a wide gap when cold- but after they warm up, it is not able to.

dghawk
05-07-2012, 06:19 PM
That sounds good. I will check the clearance the next time it happens - may be a few days due to work schedule. How do I adjust the clutch if necessary? Is it as simple as tightening the shaft nut until the proper clearance is achieved? Also, is this a possible solution, even after I jumpered the accum. cycling switch and the compressor engaged? Thanks again. Sincerely, Dave.

Tech II
05-07-2012, 08:28 PM
There is only one way you can "check the A/C level", and that is to recover the freon, pull a vac, and then add freon by weight.....

You said the pressures were checked....what were the low and high sides doing?

This is a CCOT system, so the compressor will shut off and cycle......

You say, when the compressor goes off, it stays off, but if you jumper the harness to the low pressure switch on the accumulator, it comes on?

Since you replaced the switch, you need to have gages on this when the compressor cuts out......see if that low side is going well below 30psi......

Add your comment to this topic!