Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 3.1L V6 Timing Chain Help

TeamoDave
05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi,
I was driving my GA SE (177k miles) on the freeway the other day and the car just died as I was exiting the freeway. When I pulled it over to the side and tried to start it again, it would not start. The starter would engage and it was getting fuel and it sounded like it wanted to start but just wouldn't.

Once I got it home, my mechanic buddy suggested we try starting fluid into the throttle body and we got the same results (sounds like it's firing but wouldn't start) along with the added bonus of a fireball back out the throttle body. I had been thinking timing chain and he agreed it's the most likely cause.

My first question is this: Is the 3.1L V6 an interference engine? Are my valves and/or pistons shot from this if it is indeed the timing chain that broke or jumped time?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Dave

Tech II
05-06-2012, 09:08 PM
If you suspect the chain, remove plugs, disable spark and fuel, and do a compression test....

TeamoDave
05-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, I pulled the front valve cover and turned the crank by hand and it appears I've got a broken camshaft. When the crank is turned, the 3 valves on the left open and close while the 3 on the right don't move at all. Anybody dealt with replacing a camshaft or is it a case of go with a whole rebuilt engine? If you have fixed this before, how much did it cost?

Tech II
05-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Think I would go junkyard....ton of these engines out there....should be able to find one with low mileage.....

Add your comment to this topic!