Page updated on 11-18-2017

tamiya ts-83 question

HibachiJeff
05-01-2012, 11:08 PM
on the spray can it is written must use "TS-14 black as an undercoat for best results" i don't have that and i can't find that anywhere . anyone know of a substitute?

hirofkd
05-02-2012, 12:36 AM
I've never used the product, so I don't have any first hand experience, but from what I read (in Japanese), the spray might damage bare plastic, or come off with a masking tape. That sounds like the paint is some kind of hot lacquer (unlike the usual synthetic lacquer TS sprays) with weaker adhesion. When using a paint like this, I'd use Dupli-Color (or similar automotive spray). I know Dupli-Color gloss paint will damage plastic, but its primer doesn't, so I'd experiment with gray primer, then gloss black, followed by Tamiya TS-83.

HibachiJeff
05-02-2012, 01:06 AM
thanks man i will try your recommendation.
how soon after it is covered in gloss black that i should use ts 83?

Vette Modeller
05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I've tried only one small experiment with TS-83 Silver and 84 Gold and was disappointed with the results. As suggested I did it over Tamiya Black then shortly later sprayed the metallics. It seems to provide a fairly tough and smooth surface but left a slightly mottled effect. If this is Tamiya's attempt to create an Alclad surface in a spray can it left me wanting to stick with Alclad. It is also a lot more expensive then the regular Tamiya synthetic lacquers , which I use a lot of. I'll experiment with it again but not anytime soon.

nugundam93
05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
any gloss black acrylic spray should do. avoid matte or semi-matte black though :)

Add your comment to this topic!