Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hub and bearing assembly replacement

ChevyMan99
05-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey, I'm planning on replacing my hub and bearing assemblies on my '99 Cavy soon. I've been getting a roaring noise and vibration coming from the front especially when I drive on the highway. I was going to just get the bearings and save money, but would it be wise to just spend a little more for the whole assemblies and avoid any possible issues with getting the bearings out, etc.? Is there anything I should watch out for or any installation tips? Thanks!!

gmtech1
05-01-2012, 03:57 PM
The hub and bearings on your car come as an assembly. I have never seen just a bearing replace on a cavalier.

FishFind
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RXW90xwZt5Q

here is a video of the whole thing being done.

I would not drive it if it makes that much noise. You ever seen what happens when it finally gives?? Rips you whole tire rims and brakes off

ChevyMan99
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Update:
Well I gave it my best shot, but was unsuccessful. After having to use a sledge to get the hub off, only the hub itself came off...not the bearing. It was on there SO TIGHT, I initally thought that it was welded on, but it looks like to corrosion and rust bonded it over time. Before I went any further and got it to a point where I might not have been able to drive it, I got everything back together and my mechanic is going to do the job tomorrow. Best part after all that work, he said 1 hour of labor will do it!

ksanger
06-03-2012, 08:17 AM
I changed the front wheel bearing / hub on an 03 cavalier yesterday. The bearing wouldn't budge, so I asked a friend. First you hit the points of the triangle all the way around to shake off some of the rust and loosen things up. If you notice on the new bearing the flange is triangular. The flat sides have a relief on them. This is where you need to hit the old bearing with a metal chisel and a large hammer. I hit each side two or three times then rotating to the next side until it came all the way out. It only takes about 5 minutes when you know what to do. Use a big hammer. Hope this helps. Note of course you must remove the 3-T55 bolts and the hub nut first :lol:.

Tech II
06-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Getting the hub assembly off the knuckle is no problem....use the chisel method as mentioned.....the problem is if you can't push the axle out of the bearing to release the axle.....

Add your comment to this topic!