1990 buick centry stalls

dtseckinger
04-29-2012, 04:28 PM
1990 buick centry stalls. fuel filter has been replaced. wondering about this models throttle body. Also, is there possibly more than one fuel filter. Is there a fuel pump involved.

GTP Dad
04-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Welcome to AF!!

Would you provide more details regarding your car. Like engine size, when the stalling occurs, does it restart once it stalls and etc. Thanks!

injury108
04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I have a 1990 Buick Century with 49000 miles on it. When I drive it for about an hour and I stop it stalls. It starts up right away but as soon as I put it into drive it stalls agene. Some times if I put it into neutral and start it I can put it into drive and it runs OK until I stop agene. The gas tank sending unit is stuck and the gage doesn’t work properly, however I know the tank is full. The car runs good in park or neutral. But as soon as I put it into gear it stalls. A Bulldog Remote Starter was installed prier to my purchase. I had to disable it by removing two fuses because it was draining the battery. I noticed that a wire from the unit goes into the brake switch

Tech II
04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Is this a 3 speed or 4 speed automatic? If 3 speed, could be a TCC solenoid problem.....the TCC solenoid could be stuck...it will start, but as soon as you put it in gear, it will die......you can wait, maybe 10 minutes or more, and then it may start, and go in gear without stalling, but as soon as that TCC applies, it could stick again and cause a stall when coming to a stop....like I said this only happens on a 3 speed...

Only has one fuel filter....

Could be an IAC problem.....could be a dirty throttle body.....

If the battery was recently disconnected, could need an "idle learn" procedure....

Yes, this has an electric fuel pump in the tank, but if it restarts every time, I doubt that is the problem.....usually a fuel pump will just die, and then it won't produce pressure for awhile(10 minutes or more), and then it may start like nothing happened....

Add your comment to this topic!