Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 chevy c/k1500 4x4 actuator problem

Dennis Iverson
04-29-2012, 09:23 AM
I have a 1995 k1500 the actuator stopped working t. replaced with new one did not work
checked power at the plug 12volts when put in 4high ! Ordered new actuator installed that one did the
same thing. checked power at the plug with test light nice bright then plugged in new actuator unplugged right a way and checked power very dim light waited for 30 -40 seconds like someone flipped a switch and the light was bright 12volt . I also did the same test on the three wires on the top of the transfercase right by the shifter. unplugged and tested for power found the brown was the only one with power. checked nice bright light. plugged it back then unplugged again checked dim light again just held it there again and about 30-40 seconds click back to full power again. looking for switch must be internal is there a relay in that line or something ?? I tried the Actuator direct to the battery and it worked fine . I t was the thermal actuator same as the old one . the electric one is a upgrade But like I sayed I hooked my old actuator direct to the battery posts and it worked fine ? My problem is when put it in4 wheel there is a problem like a rely in the line or something and not giving the actuator full 12 volts ?at the actuator there is only two wires at the plug on the tranfercase three. :screwy:

MT-2500
04-29-2012, 09:49 AM
I have a 1995 k1500 the actuator stopped working t. replaced with new one did not work
checked power at the plug 12volts when put in 4high ! Ordered new actuator installed that one did the
same thing. checked power at the plug with test light nice bright then plugged in new actuator unplugged right a way and checked power very dim light waited for 30 -40 seconds like someone flipped a switch and the light was bright 12volt . I also did the same test on the three wires on the top of the transfercase right by the shifter. unplugged and tested for power found the brown was the only one with power. checked nice bright light. plugged it back then unplugged again checked dim light again just held it there again and about 30-40 seconds click back to full power again. looking for switch must be internal is there a relay in that line or something ?? I tried the Actuator direct to the battery and it worked fine . I t was the thermal actuator same as the old one . the electric one is a upgrade But like I sayed I hooked my old actuator direct to the battery posts and it worked fine ? My problem is when put it in4 wheel there is a problem like a rely in the line or something and not giving the actuator full 12 volts ?at the actuator there is only two wires at the plug on the tranfercase three. :screwy:

The Brown wire to transfer case switch is fused ciruit.
Should have full 12 volts at all times key on.

Go to transfer case 4W fuse in I/P fuse panel fuse and see if it is losing power there.

The transfer case switch should feed full 12 volts to actuator on light blue wire.

Add your comment to this topic!