Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Chevy C/K 1500 Wont start

xJake
04-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Hey Guy's... I'm new to the automotive world so bear with me...My name's Jake and i've had my truck for 9 Months and everything was working fine till this month (April) My water pump busted and me and my friend replaced it and it was running fine for two weeks. My other firend hit me in the back fender with his car and since my truck is a Chevy :evillol: and being mostly metal it didn't do a lot of damage it just bent my Back bumper... SO i had the truck waiting in front of my house for a week for the adjuster to come look at the damage. I had decided to go to my friends house Friday and chill with them... When i was about to leave my truck would start then shut off...i gave it a jump and it wouldn't start. i took the battery to Auto zone and the battery was at 100% i put the battery back in and tried to start it but it still wouldn't start. I went back to auto zone and got a distributor cap and rotor and put that on and it still wouldn't start. I went back to auto zone and got some Spark plug wires and ran them to their appropriate positions and it still wouldn't start... I went back to auto zone and got a new fuel filter and put that in and it still wouldn't start so i bought a Fuel Pump assembly kit and replaced the stock one that it had and tried to start it and it still didn't start... I took off the air filter and poured gas into the Carburetor and it would start and then die after the fuel was used up so now i honestly don't know what to do and anything will be helpful... i also replaced the spark plugs.
My truck is a Chevy 1991 C/K 1500 5.7 L V8 2WD truck

Hope i gave you enough information if not please post and i will get back to you ASAP Thank you

Schurkey
04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
my truck would start then shut off...

i gave it a jump and it wouldn't start. i took the battery to Auto zone and the battery was at 100% i put the battery back in and tried to start it but it still wouldn't start. I went back to auto zone and got a distributor cap and rotor and put that on and it still wouldn't start. I went back to auto zone and got some Spark plug wires and ran them to their appropriate positions and it still wouldn't start... I went back to auto zone and got a new fuel filter and put that in and it still wouldn't start so i bought a Fuel Pump assembly kit and replaced the stock one that it had and tried to start it and it still didn't start...
You just learned that throwing parts at the vehicle at random without thinking costs a lot of money and fairly often doesn't fix the problem. This is why DIAGNOSIS is so important.

When you installed the fuel pump assembly, did you install it onto the passenger side of the engine near the front, or into the fuel tank?

I took off the air filter and poured gas into the Carburetor and it would start and then die after the fuel was used up
Do you have a carburetor, or do you have a throttle-body fuel injection system?

We now know that the ignition system is probably not the root cause.

Lack of fuel could be a fuel system problem; or it could be a sensor/computer/wiring harness problem.

so now i honestly don't know what to do and anything will be helpful... i also replaced the spark plugs.
My truck is a Chevy 1991 C/K 1500 5.7 L V8 2WD truck

Hope i gave you enough information if not please post and i will get back to you ASAP Thank you

WHAT is your fuel pressure when the engine is running after you pour gasoline down the "carburetor".

xJake
04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
When you installed the fuel pump assembly, did you install it onto the passenger side of the engine near the front, or into the fuel tank?

I put the Fuel pump assembly in the Fuel tank.

Do you have a carburetor, or do you have a throttle-body fuel injection system?

I asked my friend (He is learning to be a mechanic) because i don't know a whole lot about my truck but he said i actually have both...does that make any sense?

Schurkey
04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I put the Fuel pump assembly in the Fuel tank.
Did you install the wiring repair kit included with the fuel pump? The in-tank wiring is a known failure point. Most fuel pumps include the repair kit.

I asked my friend (He is learning to be a mechanic) because i don't know a whole lot about my truck but he said i actually have both...does that make any sense?
No. You have either a carburetor OR a Throttle-Body fuel Injection system.

The truck would have come with the TBI.

What is your fuel pressure?

horse482
05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Check the fuel pump relay, and make sure that you have key on power at the tank, are you getting spark and are your injectors firing?

Add your comment to this topic!