Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'00 Accord won't start

killermrob83
04-28-2012, 05:55 PM
This is my neighbor's ride, so I do not know much about this vehicle:

'00 Honda Accord, V6, 100K miles, automatic.

Just returned from dealership two weeks ago and parked in garage since. SRS and Check Engine lights were on. P1457 was code given; replaced evap cannister and shut off valve. Don't recall what the SRS fix was, but accomplished repair. Car driven home and parked until today. Went to start, but battery (from '07) was weak from sitting. Installed new battery and car cranks over like a champ, but will not start. Upon turning the key to the "on" position I do not hear the fuel pump run. Have power to both sides of the fuel pump fuse (15A in the #1 position on driver side). Sprayed some starting fluid into air intake, then cranked over and engine fired and ran until starting fluid was gone. Where is the fuel pump cutout/inertia switch on this model? I can't imagine why this switch might be open, but I also do not know what has gone on with the vehicle. I know that I had tripped my switch (on another car) by slamming the door. I guess the fuel pump could be out, but seems unlikely since it ran perfectly two weeks ago. Any other ideas/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and consideration.

killermrob83
04-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Did a little troubleshooting and this is what I was able to come up with. The pump connector is basically a u-shape with a flattened out bottom. There are two rows of sockets (pins are on the pump end); 3 on the top separated from the 2 on the bottom by a plastic partition. I have numbered them 1-5,
1-3 across the top, and then 4 & 5 on the bottom, 4 being under 1.

_ _ _
1 2 3

_ _
4 5

1 Ground (black)
2 Pwr (yellow w/blue stripe)
3 Pwr (green w/red stripe)
4 ? (black w/ silver spot every inch or so along the length)
5 ? (black w/ yellow stripe and silver spot as above)

11.3V on #2 (socket on connector) 154 ohms 1-2 (pins on pump)
12.1V on #3 (socket on connector) 1.8 ohms 4-5 (pins on pump)

No other continuity readings between any other pins.

Can anyone assist me with what is going on from these readings? I hate guessing, but am thinking one of the power leads is for the sending unit and the other is for the pump, but I do not know which is which. The other two (4&5) I'm thinking are returns through the circuit, but I could be totally wrong. If I am correct, it leads me to believe that the fuel pump is shot. Thanks again.

killermrob83
04-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Did some online searching and found out that Hondas and Acuras have had a fuel pump relay issue for decades and have never addressed the issue. Because I have power at two of the positions on the connector, I do not believe this to be the problem. However, I thought that I would pass this valuable information on: very simple repair that will save you money and the grief of a vehicle that will not start. Here's a link to a video which is not the greatest production, but one can see what needs to be done to accomplish the repair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIZ8k60awY

killermrob83
04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Anyone have a factory service manual for this vehicle? If so, would you be willing to scan to computer and link me a fuel pump circuit wiring diagram? Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!