Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3 timing chains in less then a year

dagan06
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
My brother has an 02 cavalier OHV and we have replaced the timing chain 3 times since june of 2011. I changed it the first time and a shop has done it the other 2 times. Anyone know what might be causing this?

dagan06
04-24-2012, 01:48 PM
also tensioner was changed all 3 times

tempfixit
04-24-2012, 02:35 PM
OEM or aftermarket parts. What is wrong with them to replace? stretched or broken????

Have the gears been replaced?? alignment.

What did the dhop say?? warranty???

dagan06
04-24-2012, 05:24 PM
OEM or aftermarket parts. What is wrong with them to replace? stretched or broken????

Have the gears been replaced?? alignment.

What did the dhop say?? warranty???

The first 2 times were aftermarket parts and last time it was from a dealer. When it goes out the tensioner is shattered and the chain is broke.

All the gear have been replaced twice. I don't know about the alignment

there is no warranty because it is not defective parts. The shop said they could find the casue but it would take $$$$$$ which I don't have.

Thanks

tempfixit
04-24-2012, 07:42 PM
The first 2 times were aftermarket parts and last time it was from a dealer. When it goes out the tensioner is shattered and the chain is broke.

All the gear have been replaced twice. I don't know about the alignment

there is no warranty because it is not defective parts. The shop said they could find the casue but it would take $$$$$$ which I don't have.

Thanks

No. 1 Find a different shop, If they have done this repair twice without diagnosing problem they are just parts replacers in my opinion.

When you did the repair did you make sure the alignment was proper??

Do you have a factory service manual for instructions??

I have not done the repair but from what I read alignment is very critical.

Have you talked with a dealership about problem?

Hopefully someone else with experience of the repair will comment.

dagan06
04-24-2012, 08:42 PM
No. 1 Find a different shop, If they have done this repair twice without diagnosing problem they are just parts replacers in my opinion.

When you did the repair did you make sure the alignment was proper??

Do you have a factory service manual for instructions??

I have not done the repair but from what I read alignment is very critical.

Have you talked with a dealership about problem?

Hopefully someone else with experience of the repair will comment.

the last time I had it done was at the dealer cause the shop I used went out of business. The dealer said they would have to trouble shoot until they found the problem

tempfixit
04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Which engine is it, 2.2 or 2.4??? Any odd noises before this happens?? Have you done a compression test once new timing chain is installed??? From what i gather this is a interference engine. Do the valves move freely???

Tech II
04-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Is this the Ecotec engine? I believe this is an interference engine....hard to believe the valves aren't bent when this happens....

I believe there was a TSB about this problem, stating that the cam and crank gears had to be replaced, along with a new chain and tensioner, and ALSO the oil nozzle had to be replaced.....I believe it has a larger opening....were ALL these parts replaced, including the nozzle?

dagan06
04-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Is this the Ecotec engine? I believe this is an interference engine....hard to believe the valves aren't bent when this happens....

I believe there was a TSB about this problem, stating that the cam and crank gears had to be replaced, along with a new chain and tensioner, and ALSO the oil nozzle had to be replaced.....I believe it has a larger opening....were ALL these parts replaced, including the nozzle?

it is a 2.2 OHV not the Ecotec. all gears and tensioner was replaced with the chain. I was told that this was a noninterference engine. I will check with the dealer. the oil nozze was not replaced that I am aware of

tempfixit
04-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Is the chain oily or dry when it breaks???

dagan06
05-13-2012, 11:29 PM
ended up the oil pump was bad and and not oiling the chain properly

tempfixit
05-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Congrats on finding the problem and thanks for posting fix.

Add your comment to this topic!