Transmission filler tube seal.

rkvons
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
I got this '98 Montana and it has a transmission fluid leak. Our driveway has a slight incline and many times there is this spot under the van that shows a leak. Yesterday, the wife was sitting in the driveway with the engine running for a few minutes and quite a spot was created. So I looked underneath and saw that it was dripping off of the rear of the transmission pan. But it was coming from above that seal. I did some checking online and found out that the trans fluid filler tube goes in on the back of the trans. in that area and it has a seal on it. This might be bad. Now I understand that the filler tube is bolted to the block. My question to you folks is, how difficult is this going to be to replace? I have not looked up in there to see what kind of room I have to work with or anything. The seal is less than a buck. I will be scheduling this job soon. Thanks.

Tech II
04-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Fairly easy job.....I think it's a 10mm bolt......pull tube out and replace seal......have a pan ready to catch the fluid....

rkvons
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
So I did this replacement of the Oil Filler tube grommet and it did not stop the leaking. Now I've decided that it must be the pan gasket. About 5 years ago, I did the fluid/filter change and threw away my original pan gasket. The kit I bought had a cork gasket. Well that leaked, so I ordered a Felpro brand gasket and put that on there. It seemed to be okay up until recently. I've ordered the GM gasket and filter and will be doing another fluid/filter change. I've got the 6mm bolts on this pan (20 of them). I was wondering what the torque specs are for these. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!