Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lesabre brakes

enslow
04-22-2012, 12:42 AM
I'm currently doing my brakes. I've got mostly Raybestos PG hardware. After reading the following:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=900995&highlight=aimco&page=3

I'm wondering if I should have gotten the advanced technology. However, with the shift to "made in china" I'm guessing that, for a daily driver, PG will be just fine.

However, I'm wondering about the AIMCO line. I had one drum that was very definietly unbalanced. As soon as I'd get up to 60 mph (100 kph) I'd get a shaking throughout the entire car. When I removed the AIMCO drums, I noticed that one drum had a ribbed look inside while the other had a uniform sheen. I installed the original drums and the car no longer shakes at 100 kph. This leads me to conclude that the drum was unbalanced.

I plan to get the ACDelco durastop drums. I hope they will be fine. They should be, because I noticed that the AIMCO drums seem to be economy priced, while the ACDelco are premium priced. All are, of course, made in China.

maxwedge
04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
More likely the drum was machined wrong, usually the small diameter of a drum compared to a tire and wheel don't affect balance. The drum was probably way out of round and could conact the shoes at the low spot, I have seen this happen before. Lots of junk parts out there these days, we all have to be more selective.

enslow
04-22-2012, 02:07 PM
More likely the drum was machined wrong, usually the small diameter of a drum compared to a tire and wheel don't affect balance. The drum was probably way out of round and could conact the shoes at the low spot, I have seen this happen before. Lots of junk parts out there these days, we all have to be more selective.

I don't think it started out of round because braking was really quite smooth below 100 kph, but I could be wrong. During the bedding process when I was accelerating to 60 kph and braking to 10 kph, increasing the braking each time until the 10th time I was approaching ABS action, the action of the brakes was very smooth.

Anyway, should I be OK with ACDelco Durastop? I noticed that Durastop is also made in China, but the cost is significantly higher than the AIMCO or other economy brands, and from what I've seen, many GM shops use Durastops as well.

Add your comment to this topic!