Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 chevy 1500 2wd extended cab

pearce13
04-21-2012, 09:08 PM
i am new here so bear with me. lol. im having fuel pump issues. i have replaced it now only getting 35 fuel pressure. and my pump is only drawing 8 volts, 7.5 when cranking. this is not good right? any help would be awesome.

autojoe
04-22-2012, 06:47 PM
what size engine?where are you measuring voltage at?at rear near fuel tank?are you using the negative battery terminal to hook meter to which is the best most negative ground.if you are hooked the meter to a bad ground the voltage reading would be off.I would do voltage drop on the positive and negative side of the circuit.

j cAT
04-22-2012, 07:28 PM
i am new here so bear with me. lol. im having fuel pump issues. i have replaced it now only getting 35 fuel pressure. and my pump is only drawing 8 volts, 7.5 when cranking. this is not good right? any help would be awesome.

with ignition on [NO CRANKING], the first 2 sec you should have 12volts at pump. make sure the voltage across the battery is also 12 volts.

WITH THE AGE OF THIS VEHICLE REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY .

make sure the fuse block/fuses are good , secure/tight in the sockets. measure the voltage at the fuel pump fuse . could be other items like ignition switch . with a voltmeter you should be able to find the voltage drop causing the voltage at the fuel pump to be low.

place 12 volts with a bypass feed wire [FUSED ],to the pump to see if you get the proper fuel pressure .

Add your comment to this topic!