Page updated on 11-22-2017

1/12 GT500 Upgrade Parts?

edwing666
04-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Hey guys,

Is there an upgrade photoetch set, transkit, or convertion set for the 1/12 Revell GT500? :confused:

best regards,

Edwing

RonCla
04-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Scale Motorports showed a detail set at last years IHobby show but it has yet to be released.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49152

edwing666
04-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Scale Motorports showed a detail set at last years IHobby show but it has yet to be released.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49152

This is fantastic news. Now, I can only wait.

Thanks!

roymattblack
04-21-2012, 12:21 PM
To be honest, I'm amazed anyone is even thinking about a detail set for this kit.
I'll get shot down for saying this, but it's just a big plastic toy!
If the Revell 1/8 Sting Ray or E-Type didn't warrant any detail kits, then this scaled-up 1/24 kit certainly doesn't.
I'm sorry, but I was SERIOUSLY disappointed when this kit finally arrived.
I opened the box in my local Modelzone shop and my heart sank, before I laughed!
A 1/12 car kit (we RARELY get new ones these days) and it is naff!
Parts count looks less than 100, and it's almost a kerbside - the engine is SO basic.
In the UK the kit is all but 50.
For a little more I can often get Tamiya 1/12 off E-Bay. NO contest.
I won't be wasting my hard-earned on this one.
Roy.

edwing666
04-21-2012, 04:36 PM
To be honest, I'm amazed anyone is even thinking about a detail set for this kit.
I'll get shot down for saying this, but it's just a big plastic toy!
If the Revell 1/8 Sting Ray or E-Type didn't warrant any detail kits, then this scaled-up 1/24 kit certainly doesn't.
I'm sorry, but I was SERIOUSLY disappointed when this kit finally arrived.
I opened the box in my local Modelzone shop and my heart sank, before I laughed!
A 1/12 car kit (we RARELY get new ones these days) and it is naff!
Parts count looks less than 100, and it's almost a kerbside - the engine is SO basic.
In the UK the kit is all but 50.
For a little more I can often get Tamiya 1/12 off E-Bay. NO contest.
I won't be wasting my hard-earned on this one.
Roy.

Dear Roy, I totally agree with you. I will buy this model for two reasons: I like that car and, unfortunately, is the only existing commercial kit in 1/12th scale.
I do not understand that American manufacturers are committed to making models for novice modelers. I do not understand. :shakehead
Today the quality standards of the models manufactured in the U.S., are far superior to earlier times and, personally, I think it's time to make a model for advanced modelers. Models with a minimum of 250 parts include photoetched, etc.. And if that is possible.
Our only hope is that some Asian manufacturer engaged in making kits 'classic American cars' in 1/12th scale. To cite an example, I think Trumpeter has done a good job with the Ford GT-40 in 1/12th scale.
On the GT500, my only motivation is that now been released in Europe by Revell Germany, so shipping costs will be much lower in Spain to a dispatch from the United States. LOL.

da_ashman
04-22-2012, 08:30 PM
You could always get the 1/12 Enzo by Tamiya with 930+ parts! Now theres an advanced kit! Very disapointing hearing its not that great, Ive been wanting a GT500 since it came out!

roymattblack
04-23-2012, 03:16 AM
You could always get the 1/12 Enzo by Tamiya with 930+ parts! Now theres an advanced kit! Very disapointing hearing its not that great, Ive been wanting a GT500 since it came out!

Mine is already on its way from HLJ....... Can't wait for it to arrive!!!

Re: The GT500, When Modelzone in the UK stick it in their sale later on at half-price, which they will, I'll maybe get one then.
Roy.

leafs004
04-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Enzo is a great kit, but let's also keep an eye on the price as most online stores are selling it for $300-400. A big difference from the $50 you can get the revell Mustang one for. I have the revell Mustang, and yes, it's fairly simple, just like the Camaro, the 57 Chevy, and the Ferrari 2002. I'm still looking forward to building it as I think it will be a lot of fun with a custom paint job and a few extra metal pieces here and there.

roymattblack
04-24-2012, 03:15 AM
Fair comment re: the Enzo price. A very bad comparison.
I still think it's a real shame that Revell have given us a new 1/12 car kit - the last one possibly being Trumpeters GT40 a few years ago - and it's just a pretty basic scaled-up 1/24.
Would it have cost much more if at least it had opening doors? The number of extra kit parts needed would have been about a dozen.
In retrospect, I might get one one day for my 'stash' and open the doors out myself.
Roy.

stump
04-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Roy, fair comments and observations, everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)
I'm one of the few who have so far, decided to outlay big coin for the kit. At just a whisker under $100AUD, it's NOT cheap.:frown:

Disappointed...? Yes, I guess I was a little. BUT, I did see an early build article, so I knew what to expect.
Details could have been improved (greatly) but it was probably a "marketing" exploit, just to see if 1/12 was still a viable line..??
I hope Revell learn from their sales (or lack of...) and give us more in the future. :)
I'm one of the older guys still building, and I find the larger scales just so much easier to work with.

Mine is still boxed, but I look forward to the day (when time permits :rolleyes:) when I can finally start it.
Build direction is unclear, I'll decide that when it happens. :smokin:

In closing, IF you like the car, buy it. A lot of places offer them cheaper with discount vouchers etc...Even some "cheaper" ones on eBay occasionally...:naughty:

Add your comment to this topic!