Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4.3 Vortec to 4.3 with a fuel injected thottle body

shrek28
04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
I have two S10s a 1990 and a 1991 the 1991 is part truck with 185,000. My daily driver has poped a frosed plug over the winter, so i want to swap the engines.
My problem is the engine in the 90 is a 4.3 V6 with the fuel injected throttle body, with 300,000km. and the one in the 91 is a Vortec... I was thinking just changing the intake manifolds from the throttle body and putting it on the engine that originally had the vortec set up on it... Will this work??? or is there different compression ratios or any reason this would not work. i dont want to have to pull all the wireing and computer out of the newer one

phipps
04-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Why not simply replace the freeze plug?

Mikado14
04-21-2012, 08:57 AM
I agree with the above poster - "Why not change the freeze plug?"

However, if for some other reason you wish to swap out the engines, you should have no problem installing the manifold from the TBI to the CPI engine. I do have one question - I had thought that the first CPI Vortec didn't come out until '92 and was only available until '95? Not important mind you but I only ask because or perhaps the previous owner of your parts truck may have put the Vortec in which would have required the swapping of computers and some wiring changes to the harness. I point this out because the TBI should be around 150 HP with the Vortec CPI being around 195 HP. You might want to consider this in swapping and get a bit more of a bump.

I rambled...sorry. You should be able to swap the manifold from the TBI to the CPI engine.

Mikado

shrek28
04-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Mikado ,thank you for your help i don't know as much as you do about these engine that is why i ask the question,you could deffenatly be right about the CPI engine I checked the reggy and again and daily driver is a 91 making the parts truck a 92 for it is a year newer than the running one.. ... The reason i don't just change the frost plug is that the 91 has just over 300,000 on it and the engine is getting tired, the other engine only has 180,000 sh. Once the engine are swapped i can rebuild the other block and save it for one of my British hot rod i have it mind. Thank you again for your help. shrek

Add your comment to this topic!