Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 PA Security Alarm Goes Off if Doors are Left Locked

688i
04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Anyone know how to disable the Security System so I can lock my doors? I saw a fuse in the box on passenger side that mentioned Alarm-II system. Will this disable it? Thanks.

Tech II
04-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Why not fix it?

688i
04-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Will gladly fix it if soimebody gives me a clue how to.

Tech II
04-18-2012, 08:43 PM
OK, reread your first post.......not sure what an Alarm II system is....it doesn't sound factory......sounds like something that was added to the car......

I know that all PA's had the PassKey system(black pellet or PK3 stamped on ignition key).....that is an alarm for the starting system.....it's a theft deterrant system.....it's factory....

The other system I think was optional.....that's called CTD, or Content Theft Deterrant.......that's factory.....It protects the car from being broken into when armed.....It uses inputs from all door latch assemblies, and from the trunk latch, too.....so if someone forced a door or trunk open, then the alarm would go off.....If your car has the factory CTD, I would be checking the door latches and the trunk latch......one way to do that is with an expensive Tech II scan tool.....the other is to get a wiring diagram of the system, and systematically eliminate the latch circuits into the module, one at a time, until the problem is stopped......

However, if this Alarm II system is aftermarket, you could be chasing your tail on this one.....

HotZ28
04-18-2012, 10:22 PM
The 1996 PA was equipped with a PassKey II, maybe that was what the OP was referring to, rather than "Alarm II" system?

688i
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
The Content Theft Deterrant is what I am referring to by the alarm system. It has the Passkey system also. Since the system is only falsely alarming when the doors are locked, would'nt this point to a problem with a door circuit? Where is the module located you speak of that the alarm circuits are routed into? How would one eliminate an alarm circuit from this module? I don't care to pay big bucks to have this repaired. Can the module be disconneted and eliminate my issue? I am not concerned with a breakin and the alarm system wouldn't stop this anyway. Thanks.

Tech II
04-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Well, I would recommend that you go to a large city library, and get a manual specific for this year/model....you need a wiring diagram to know which circuits go to the doors.....I know the module is called the MALL module.....stands for multifunction alarm lock and lighting module.....it's under the dash on the passenger side attached to a bracket.....unfortunately, there are several modules also in the same area, attached to a bracket.....

Basically, you will cut each wire to the doors, one at a time, until the alarm does not go off......this will pinpoint the circuit....It could be a bad switch, or it could be a short to ground on any of the door circuits, that would set the alarm on.....

Add your comment to this topic!