hear knock sound from inside car!

ROYZELL
04-15-2012, 01:54 PM
My wife 93 civic is making a knock sound..dont do it all the time but it seems to me it makes the sound when she hits bumps in the street and back out the driveway...im thinking its her struts...the car doesnt bounce but all the sounds im hearing seems to be suspention related...I've change both cv axles and both inner and out tie rods....anybody else know what it could be? My wife was riding with someone in a volvo and their car was making the same sound and they said the dealer replace their struts...so thats why im aiming towards that! any help would be helpful!

ROYZELL
04-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I forgot to add...you can hear it better from the inside! from the outside it just sounds like an squeaky old car hitting a bump!

cp___32
07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Do you also hear muffled yelling? She might have a person stashed in the trunk.
Just kidding of course...

Can you identify where the 'knock' is coming from at all? Rear of the vehicle, front, left side, or right side? Is there any feedback through the steering wheel when it happens?
That will help narrow down possibilities of what it might be if we can narrow it down to a certain part of the car.

When the car is parked, you can reach in and grab the upper ball joint with both hands (above the tire like you're choking it) and wiggle it to check for play. It shouldn't move at all so if it does, you'll have to replace your upper ball joints.

I've also seen motor mounts go and end up making funny noises, so I'd have a look around your engine bay to see the state of the rubber bushings that hold your motor in place. If one looks rusted/broken, or if the rubber is in a bad state, chances is that the motor is bouncing a little and that might be causing the noise.

Have you inspected the springs to make sure none of them have broken? The strut might still be good, but those springs will make some noise if they've sheared somewhere and the broken part is moving around over bumps.

Let's start there and see what you come up with.

Add your comment to this topic!