Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Questions about transferring ownership of my car

RonnieOttawa1969
04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
My 2002 Cavalier was e-tested last November when I renewed my plate sticker. I am now selling the car as is and have a buyer. I am keeping my plates for my new car. What are my and the new owner's obligations? Will I have to have the car safetied before I transfer ownership, and if so what roughly is the minimum cost of a safety? Will the car have to be e-tested again to transfer ownership when it has a valid certificate until November of this year? Or will the onus be on the new owner to pay for the safety and e-test? What will I need to have with me at Service Ontario to get this done with as little hassle as possible? If the buyer is accepting the car "as is", will I still be required to buy the $20 Used Vehicle Information Kit?

If I'm only getting five hundred dollars for the car, is it really worth the hassle to sell it? Or should I just turn the car over to the dealership and take the 300 dollars they offered to junk it for me?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me. I want this process to be as quick and painless as possible and ideally I want to do this all tomorrow (Monday the 16th) before I pick up the new car tomorrow night.

Dilys95
04-15-2012, 07:07 PM
http://www.infoocean.info/avatar2.jpgThank you very much!

Add your comment to this topic!