no low speed heater/ac fan

SAelmer
04-13-2012, 08:13 AM
the first 2 fan speed settings suddenly quit on my '02 century.

I checked and swapped the fuse, so doubt that's it.

Is there a relay someplace I need to check?

Or a vacuum line perhaps?

Where can I find a schematic of the circuit?

GTP Dad
04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
You will need to change the fan resistor that is located next to the fan under the dash. The resistor controls the fan speed. It will often start with the lowest speed going out and then each higher speed. Only 5 will work when the resistor is fully gone. They are not hard to change just hard to get to.

SAelmer
04-13-2012, 09:05 AM
You will need to change the fan resistor that is located next to the fan under the dash. The resistor controls the fan speed. It will often start with the lowest speed going out and then each higher speed. Only 5 will work when the resistor is fully gone. They are not hard to change just hard to get to.

Sounds like the voice of experiene - thanks! :)

As I've never pulled my dash apart - any clue where I begin or what area/part I need to go after to expose the motor/resistor?

Will the resistor be a dealer part replacement, or will AutoZone/NAPA have?

Tech II
04-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Drop the lower hush panel on the passenger side......find the wire harness to the blower motor......just follow it back to the resistor block...the resistor block and harness is what you are replacing.....any parts store will have it...

SAelmer
04-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Drop the lower hush panel on the passenger side......find the wire harness to the blower motor......just follow it back to the resistor block...the resistor block and harness is what you are replacing.....any parts store will have it...

I have removed the hush panel and followed the motor wires to a black box like unit. suspect that's it. tight fit to one nut/screw that is visiable. Haven't yet removed it.. hesitant if not right "thing". thought I'd go to NAPA and see what they show.

SAelmer
04-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Okay, so after messing around upside down under the dash - I have succeded in removing only 1 of 3 screws! There appears to be 2 semi-hidden behind rubber sound matting - that I can't remove. My bifocal's don't help either! Or my age, nor my shakey hands!:banghead:

I do hate to give up and pay for 2 hrs of severice time to have some shop do it.... but it may come to that. Or we could just run AC fan at higher speeds and wife can cover her legs with a blanket!

What do you all vote for?? :jerking: LOL

Tech II
04-13-2012, 07:20 PM
I attach a 5.5mm socket to a 1/4" swivel, and attach that to an extension....you force that socket on the screw, passed the rubber....you don't have to remove the two back screws...just loosen them 1 turn.....remove the front screw.....now pry down the front edge and grab with a pair of pliers and give a yank....comes right out.....the rear of the r-block is notched......so it is easily put back in, and just tightening the front screw is all that is needed.....

SAelmer
04-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I attach a 5.5mm socket to a 1/4" swivel, and attach that to an extension....you force that socket on the screw, passed the rubber....you don't have to remove the two back screws...just loosen them 1 turn.....remove the front screw.....now pry down the front edge and grab with a pair of pliers and give a yank....comes right out.....the rear of the r-block is notched......so it is easily put back in, and just tightening the front screw is all that is needed.....

Makes sense to me.. if I can "see" back there with my bi-focals! I'll give it a shot tomorrow when my brain isn't still enjoying Friday night Happy Hour!

GTP Dad
04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
I also found it easier to get to if you remove the front seat. A lot of work but makes it much easier to get to the area. Especially since you don't need to stand on your head.

DeltaP
04-13-2012, 08:46 PM
I've been known to put my bifocals on upside down when working under the dash! I've read about "Industrial" glasses that have bifocals on top and bottom of the lens but haven't been able to locate them yet.

GTP Dad
04-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Try contacting a company that provides industrial safety glasses. They do make lenses with bifocals on top an bottom and for those of us who are bifocal impaired they do work well. They are called Occupational Bifocals. You may be able to obtain a pair from you eye care professional or a company like Eyeland.

SAelmer
04-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the very helpful input Tech II I was successful in getting the 2 back screws loose enough to slip the unit out. Left a little blood behind :frown:, but no worse than usual for under dash jobs!

O'Riellys had the unit in house, so all said and done in less than 1.5 hrs. And my shop rate is a lot cheaper - a cold Miller's and some chips! :biggrin:

rmignol
09-17-2012, 07:45 PM
had the same tbl on my 2000 century, bought the part , same bifocial problem, got a local guy to put it in took him about 5 minutes 20 bucks later all done

Add your comment to this topic!