Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"Pool": To change just the top mount or the full stut...

thephantom1492
04-13-2012, 03:00 AM
Well, as the title say...

Top mount of the stuts are worn out and rattle on bumps, quite annoying.

The stuts are original, so 10 years old, and do start to have some wear. Also the springs are probably not ideal too.

In general, I'm still finding the front suspension to be ok. Rear however is to be replaced "soon" as it started to leak.

Problem: The top mount is relativelly expensive (1/4 of the full set), and actually more work than replacing the full stuts. I got a quote of around 210$ per stuts, and 60$ for the top mount (part only).

What would you guys do? just replace the top mount? or the full kit?

Money is now low as the rest of the repair wasn't planned at all.

Car now reached 94000km.

gmtech1
04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
With the year and miles on the car, I think you would be further ahead to do the struts and mounts.

shyguy5885
04-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Just a heads up for this. Be sure you have all the tools and patience to do yourself. On mine, the front passenger spring cracked, pieces kept falling out, driving over and weight of car pushed top section inside lower section. I attempted to change myself but couldnt get axle to lower enough to slip assembly into place. Ended up having to have a special tow to dealership. I do not recommend the Monroe quick/complete assemblies. The Monroes were about 100 less than stock (in-person prices, not discount/online) but not worth it. They feel too spongy for me...definitely took a few weeks to get used to the different road feel. And I cannot cruise at 40 on highway clover ramps, too much sway.

Add your comment to this topic!