Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 lumina transmission problems

pairof97blazers
04-11-2012, 01:28 PM
99 lumina, when first started, transmission will go into gear and i can move the car, but after about 3 or 4 minutes, it will not move the car at all. any thoughts as to whats wrong, a bit more specific than Trannys toast please

maxwedge
04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Well without seeing what may be laying in the bottom of the pan and/or doing a pressure test what would you like to hear, you certainly have an overhaul ahead of you!

FishFind
04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
check fluid level and color

pairof97blazers
04-11-2012, 10:39 PM
fluid level is just under full mark, a little dark but still has reddish tint (full flush 50 k ago) no burnt smell, sounds like the pump is cavitating. im gonna change the filter tomorrow and see whats going on. Stay posted for PICS:sarcasmsign:

jeffcoslacker
04-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Usually means the pump is shot, or a seal is blown so badly that it only gets enough fluid pressure to operate when the fluid is cold and heavy....once it warms, fluid weight drops and pressure goes below threshold to operate correctly...

dimperdoo
06-14-2012, 03:39 PM
my '98 does this exact same thing - bump...

maxwedge
06-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Welcome AF. Ok, so the above advice applies to you but as you see there is no response as to the resolution.

dimperdoo
06-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Is there an aftermarket, handheld code reader I can pick up reasonably that will read the transmission codes?

kind of a trick getting the car from my rural location to a shop.

Just confusing w/ this issue because the transmission does work normally for the few minutes after you start the car -and, it will do it again if you turn it off and start it again - lol

maxwedge
06-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Pcodes for the trans usually show up with a normal high line scanner, for diagnostics you need a real professional scanner.

dimperdoo
06-18-2012, 12:52 AM
what about this one: http://www.obd-home.com/obd2-can-bus-engine-code-reader-u480-p-379.html

maxwedge
06-18-2012, 10:27 AM
That will read basic codes, not much chance you will get tanas codes unless the cel is on, very basic unit.

Tech II
06-19-2012, 09:17 PM
There are some good deals on low end scanners(that also read engine data, as well as read/clear codes, check flags) at Amazon.com........

dimperdoo
06-20-2012, 04:46 PM
OK, so what I have now is a "snap-on diagnostics scanner mt2500"

I hooked it up and, it said the car was "ok to drive" lol

Don't know much about what I'm looking for but one thing I did notice was trans fluid volume was @ ~2.4 while the transmission worked but, was @ 1.99 when the tranny stopped working. still "ok to drive":headshake

maxwedge
06-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I seem to remember the MT2500 had an accessory trans cartridge for bi-directional diagnostics, the scanner cannot tell all, slipping is slipping something diagnosed during a road test.

dimperdoo
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
is the fluid volume info significant though?

I guess my next step is to pull the pan and see what the fluid looks like/if there's debris in the pan...

jeffcoslacker
06-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Not up on tranny scan diagnostics. What does fluid volume mean to the scanner, exactly...? I mean what value is it actually reading?

What happens to the fluid temp when it quits working right?

I'd still bet it's blowing off hydro pressure somewhere once warmed up...

dimperdoo
06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Not up on tranny scan diagnostics. What does fluid volume mean to the scanner, exactly...? I mean what value is it actually reading?

I wonder these things as well - the scanner just says "fluid volume" and gives a # -makes it kind of difficult to discuss because you want to say GPM or LPM or something not just "2.4"

What happens to the fluid temp when it quits working right?

It stays the same once it comes to temp - but, I wouldn't be surprised if reaching temp is when the tranny slips... I don't remember the values -may have to check again once I get home

I'd still bet it's blowing off hydro pressure somewhere once warmed up...

yeah I'm thinking that too - still haven't dropped the pan since I'm working on my blazer and my cougar currently... lumina is the next project

pairof97blazers
08-02-2012, 01:01 PM
just wanted to point out, i swapped the filter, and it has done ok for a w hile, but its getting worse. there were a lot of filings in the pan when i dropped it as well. I have found a trans i can afford and will be doing the swap this week. any hints?

trannyman52
08-05-2012, 01:17 PM
4t60E ,,,4t65E ,,,transmission pans are very shallow,,,over-fill trans about a quart,,takes trans starving for oil out of the question,,,will not hurt trans......P.S.,,,,scanner will not tell you if hard parts are broken in transmission,,,more than likely foreward clutch seals ka-poot,,,,,if reverse engages ok,,,,then fwd clutch is the problem......

pairof97blazers
08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
i was always told if you overfill the trans you risk blowing seals... But i do like the idea

Add your comment to this topic!