2005 Avalon tranny fluid

j cAT
04-05-2012, 06:07 PM
How do you check for proper fluid level. engine on or off ?

when changing the transmission fluid toyota WS type , how many qts will it take ?

Brian R.
04-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Engine at idle on flat level surface at operating temperature and after shifting through all the gears.

The number of quarts depends on whether you only drain the pan or flush the system. IF you only drain the pan, the refill quantity is 3.7 quarts. Flushing will take as much as 10 quarts.

j cAT
04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Engine at idle on flat level surface at operating temperature and after shifting through all the gears.

The number of quarts depends on whether you only drain the pan or flush the system. IF you only drain the pan, the refill quantity is 3.7 quarts. Flushing will take as much as 10 quarts.

THANKS BRIAN. the toyota owners manual is very weak on any transmission servicing or fluid checks.

fluid looks good at 80,ooomi. just want to replace some to hopefully keep from any failures.

Brian R.
04-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Section 8 "Specifications" of the owner's manual is where I got the above information from.

j cAT
04-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Section 8 "Specifications" of the owner's manual is where I got the above information from.

checking out the owners manual it does not state how to check the fluid level.
It does have the fluid type to use ,and the refill capacity.

Brian R.
04-08-2012, 03:00 PM
ok, I must have a different manual than you.

quincyguy
04-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi, Brian:
A few questions....
your opinions on synthetic ATF's,
your opinion on transmission flushes, vs. changing the fluid.
I've heard that flushes can be done right, and not done right. Of course, that's true of most anything.
Jim in MA

Brian R.
04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Synthetic ATFs are useful anywhere you use dino ATF. There is no substantial difference in performance, but I expect them to last quite a bit longer (maybe twice as long) as dino ATF. I use synthetic ATF in all my cars for power steering and transmission. I expect to not have to change it as often.

I prefer to flush transmissions rather than just replace what is drained out since it seems silly to leave a large amount of dirty transmission fluid in the unit instead of replacing it all at once.

There are a couple of potential problems with flushing transmissions. One is that a really dirty transmission may be cleaned to the extent that leaking may result from seals which were kept from leaking by deposits. These deposits may be removed with totally new fluid, as opposed to just replacing some of the fluid which would be less drastic.

Another potential problem can result if you flush it with pressure, rather than by just allowing the transmission oil pump to pump out the old fluid. I don't see how you can harm the transmission by disconnecting the ATF cooler line and allowing the transmission oil pump to pump out a quart or two at a time, then replacing what has been pumped out with fresh fluid. It seems that removing the fluid by applying pressure to the return line may cause damage to the seals.

See the following post in the FAQ thread.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=4058297&postcount=51

Add your comment to this topic!