Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low Coolant Light comes on and off

caddiali
04-04-2012, 08:03 PM
My 97 LS Regal (202kms) recently started displaying Low Coolant on the dash, when Im doing 100km/h. When Im driving at low speeds the light comes and goes. Does anybody know if this has to do with failing rocker cover gaskets?

Thanks for your help!

Tech II
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
No, it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with failing rocker cover gaskets......

What is the coolant level in your radiator? Is it and the reservoir full?

If the radiator is low, you have a leak, and this is causing the level sensor in the radiator to turn on.....

If the radiator is full and the low coolant light is on, the level sensor is bad, contaminated, or the circuit is bad......The light will go out if you disconnect the sensor.......If it stays on, with the sensor disconnected, there is a problem in the cluster/circuit......

patriot777
04-05-2012, 03:29 AM
This just happened to me. The low coolant light would go on and off so I though it was a malfunction until eventually it began to overheat. I then learned that it had two coolant leaks. It was leaking from the water pump and the belt tensioner elbow. Sometimes the elbow can make it seem like the water pump is leaking when it really isn't so you would have to be careful diagnosing it.....I was able to fix both leaks with very limited mechanic experience.....although there is one bolt on the water pump that I had to take off the power steering pump to get to. I found videos on youtube that walked me through the repair and I used a manual to get the right torque specs.

Tech II
04-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Patriot777, you have no idea, how many good water pumps have been replaced because of poor diagnosis.....that elbow leaks fluid down onto the waterpump, and a lot of techs in a rush to judgement, condemn the pump, and it isn't even leaking.....

caddiali
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys for your reply and amazing insight. I will get it checked out by the mechanic, and have him check the coolant level sensor. I just topped up some rad fluid so its good. Maybe it needs a good flush. THe reason i thought it was the rocker gaskets because we had the car on the hoist and saw some slow oil leaks from that area. So I assumed the coolant is being lost in the engine. I will post the update once I find out more.

Thanks automotive forums members!

Add your comment to this topic!