Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

almost off the cliff..

mishalah
04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Had a harrowing experience with my '96 Suburban a last weekend, and an issue I don't want to have repeat itself.

We loaded up and took a 500 mile jaunt up to Pioche, NV and all around. Saturday afternoon we were exploring some mining roads high up in the hilles. We got stuck trying to climb an old access road, and not even the 4wd would get us moving forward (I don't have offroad tires). As I tried to back out of a rut/hole I lightly touched the gas (with my left foot on the brake), and my life flashed before me.

The truck rocketed backwards as though I was full throttle. I jammed both feet on the brake and pushed as hard as I could, the truck still headed for the edge of the cliff. Then shoved the the shifter into Park. It did stop the truck just about a foot from the edge, and my grandson went into a full panic. I held it steady so he could get out, then eased it back forward to get it off the edge.

I was eventually able to roll and power it back down to a place where I could turn it around. I was afraid to put it into reverse again because of what had happened, but had no choice. To get turned around I had to rip out a fence guarding an old mineshaft and taunt the cliffside edge of the road, but we got it headed downward.

What I don't get is why it literally LAUNCHED itself backwards the first time I tried to back up in 4wd. And, the brakes were not holding it back! What would have cause that?

j cAT
04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Had a harrowing experience with my '96 Suburban a last weekend, and an issue I don't want to have repeat itself.

We loaded up and took a 500 mile jaunt up to Pioche, NV and all around. Saturday afternoon we were exploring some mining roads high up in the hilles. We got stuck trying to climb an old access road, and not even the 4wd would get us moving forward (I don't have offroad tires). As I tried to back out of a rut/hole I lightly touched the gas (with my left foot on the brake), and my life flashed before me.

The truck rocketed backwards as though I was full throttle. I jammed both feet on the brake and pushed as hard as I could, the truck still headed for the edge of the cliff. Then shoved the the shifter into Park. It did stop the truck just about a foot from the edge, and my grandson went into a full panic. I held it steady so he could get out, then eased it back forward to get it off the edge.

I was eventually able to roll and power it back down to a place where I could turn it around. I was afraid to put it into reverse again because of what had happened, but had no choice. To get turned around I had to rip out a fence guarding an old mineshaft and taunt the cliffside edge of the road, but we got it headed downward.

What I don't get is why it literally LAUNCHED itself backwards the first time I tried to back up in 4wd. And, the brakes were not holding it back! What would have cause that?

I would say the abs was on. best to pull the fuse when off roading.

cris2004
04-12-2012, 05:27 PM
As far as the launch you must have built up a nice little berm/ramp trying to get forward. You were all ready heading downhill (backwards), then the sudden shift in momentum may have caused you to touch that gas a little harder than you thought.
There is a lot of energy built up when stuck, and that 350 is a lot bigger than the little Burban brakes! I've had a few similar instances unfortunately, but without a darn cliff

Add your comment to this topic!