Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sub isnt hitting

Jetts
06-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Well im running a Rf punch 150s amp bridged at 150x1 at 4 ohm with a 300 watt wiring kit, pushing a Rf punch z 10" well this morning while driving to school my sub stopped hitting and later on today it frequently just started hitting and then would stop

tonight after work i redid all the connections made sure they are good

im always getting power to the amp when car is on, checked the crossover and nothing happened

really tickin me off cause i love just the little bump this cheap once effective system gave me

i have had this system for probally less then a month and i have had no problems up until now

thx for any help

bret

AirAllen01
06-03-2003, 09:16 AM
You should check on the backside of the cone of the speaker. My friend had the same problem and it was his voice coil. Make sure your voice coil isn't touching the cone, if it is then you've probably already burned the voice coil and the sub won't work. The frequent yet nonconstant bass is from the coil touching the cone. You can either have somebody fix the coil or you can buy another sub.

Jetts
06-03-2003, 06:37 PM
figures i'll have to check that out

thx for the help

AirAllen01
06-03-2003, 06:39 PM
No problem. Any more questions just ask.

Jetts
06-03-2003, 07:19 PM
will the coil be stickin out or what should i look for?

thx

AirAllen01
06-03-2003, 07:26 PM
If you look at where you connect your speaker wires to the sub, running from the sub to the back of the cone there will be a couple of wires, one from the positive and one from the negative. If one of those wires is touching the cone anywhere other than where connected then it will cause a short in the coil. There should be a black mark on the wire and on the back of the cone where it was touching. If the sub is DVC, then check the wires running from both connectors.

Jetts
06-03-2003, 07:38 PM
none of the wires are out but there are black marks in like the middle of the wires

AirAllen01
06-03-2003, 07:43 PM
That's what I was afraid of. Sorry man, but your voice coil is fried. You'll either have to take it to a professional to fix the wire, but most likely you'll just have to buy another sub, cuz this one's not working any more. Sorry again. On your next sub, if you wrap these wires in electrical tape, at least where the wire will possibly touch, or the whole wire, it will keep the wire still and will also protect from this happening. I had to do that on my Audiobahns. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me if you want and I'll help the best I can, or you can ask any one of these other fine qualified stereo people.

Jetts
06-03-2003, 07:46 PM
thx for all the help
that was the problem hooked up this shitty ass jensen that was laying around in my garage and it works so yeap it was the sub fuck me not another one

AirAllen01
06-03-2003, 07:50 PM
No problem. Sorry about the bad news. Are you thinkin about buyin a new one? If so, any ideas on which ones. If you like the bass of that sub, then go for it again, just take the neccessary precautions to prevent the same thing from happening again. If you wanna try something new then you can go with Memphis, MTX, and I hear the Alpine Type-r is a pretty good sub also. Just a few suggestions.

Jetts
06-03-2003, 07:54 PM
trying to figure out the cubic feet of air and the depth of my box to get a infinty reference

AirAllen01
06-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Sweet choice. Infinity has always been a pretty good brand to go with. Good luck.

Jetts
06-03-2003, 07:59 PM
found the depth it is like 6.63 and .50 cubic feet of air

but now i cant find a crutchfield mag to look at the specs for the sub

AirAllen01
06-03-2003, 08:02 PM
And Crutchfield says, Reference 10' : Depth : 5 1/2 Sealed Box : .45 cu. ft. Ported Box : .68 cu. ft.

Jetts
06-03-2003, 11:30 PM
yea i just went and got a free rf 10

really only cost me 15 bucks

stupid restockin fees

Jetts
06-03-2003, 11:31 PM
lol i just realized that why is there a restocking fee for a broken item
hmmmm :confused:

AirAllen01
06-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Okay, how did you get the free rf 10?

Jetts
06-04-2003, 09:39 PM
like some 30 day warrenty that came with the one i bought
i just brought the sub back and got a new one
for 15 bucks
restockin fee for a broken item hmmm

oh and that was my second replacment only supposed to get one :devil:

AirAllen01
06-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Oh, warranty. I was beginning to wonder. Man, I'd pay 15 plus S&H if you got free subs, but I guess that doesn't happen huh?

Jetts
06-04-2003, 09:46 PM
hmmm

nah i have to give them the broken one
if i didnt then i could probally get you one lol

AirAllen01
06-04-2003, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that'd be cool. The best I can do is getting wholesale Memphis and Audiobahn. Also those not to great but okay brands like Legacy, Soundstream, Boss, and those kind. I can also get a brand called Funky Pup Subs. I can get six 10's for like $10, that's how terrible they are.

Jetts
06-04-2003, 09:51 PM
how can you get audiobahn for wholesale?

like 6 10's for 10 bucks lol that is horrible

GScivic7
06-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by AirAllen01
That's what I was afraid of. Sorry man, but your voice coil is fried. You'll either have to take it to a professional to fix the wire, but most likely you'll just have to buy another sub, cuz this one's not working any more. Sorry again. On your next sub, if you wrap these wires in electrical tape, at least where the wire will possibly touch, or the whole wire, it will keep the wire still and will also protect from this happening. I had to do that on my Audiobahns. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me if you want and I'll help the best I can, or you can ask any one of these other fine qualified stereo people.

i had to do that to my audiobahns too cause the first audiobahn sub i had, the leads going to the voicecoil had actually unraveled and fried

AirAllen01
06-04-2003, 09:54 PM
My cousin's cousin has a body shop that he uses his tax number to go through an official Audiobahn distributor that distributes to retailers and sells wholesale. The company is called M&M Express. My amp would have cost me about $1100 retail, but I got it for $420. Cut my prices by more than half.

Jetts
06-04-2003, 09:55 PM
hmm you got aim i need to talk to you about a little something something

yea well thx for the help

AirAllen01
06-04-2003, 09:56 PM
You can either PM me here or I also have Yahoo Messenger. Hit me up at AirAllen01.

AirAllen01
06-04-2003, 09:58 PM
i had to do that to my audiobahns too cause the first audiobahn sub i had, the leads going to the voicecoil had actually unraveled and fried

Luckily it had happened to my cousin before on some cheap subs, so he warned me before I put them in.

Jetts
06-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by GScivic7

university of washington fuck yea i want to go there was it hard to get in?
do you like drum and bass techno?

yea well that happened to my rf sub but it didnt unravel or anything it just fried in the middle of the damn wire

GScivic7
06-05-2003, 02:16 PM
it's not extremely hard to get in...i'd say if you get a 3.5 gpa and about a 1200 SAT scoreyou're almost a shoe in if you apply early. I applied late, and i mean late, shipped my app off the last day it was supposed to be postmarked, with a 3.58 gpa and a 1160 SAT score, the put me on the waiting list and then they later accepted me during the summer. Trick to any college app is apply early, cause it's almost like a first come first serve deal.

yah i like almost all techno music

Lol it's kinda funny, i actually wanted to go down to AZ for school, Devry......

GScivic7
06-05-2003, 02:20 PM

Luckily it had happened to my cousin before on some cheap subs, so he warned me before I put them in.

great thing about mine was that the sub was still under warranty so they sent me a brand new 2003 model sub with the flame basket, currently it's in my friend's truck with one sub in the box and one sub with the basket showing wired out of phase, looks really sweet.

Jetts
06-05-2003, 06:14 PM
it's not extremely hard to get in...i'd say if you get a 3.5 gpa and about a 1200 SAT scoreyou're almost a shoe in if you apply early. I applied late, and i mean late, shipped my app off the last day it was supposed to be postmarked, with a 3.58 gpa and a 1160 SAT score, the put me on the waiting list and then they later accepted me during the summer. Trick to any college app is apply early, cause it's almost like a first come first serve deal.

yah i like almost all techno music

Lol it's kinda funny, i actually wanted to go down to AZ for school, Devry......

cool know of any local dnb dejays?
washington state is in seattle right?
me get a 3.5 lol hahah yea right

AirAllen01
06-05-2003, 07:49 PM
great thing about mine was that the sub was still under warranty so they sent me a brand new 2003 model sub with the flame basket, currently it's in my friend's truck with one sub in the box and one sub with the basket showing wired out of phase, looks really sweet.

Yeah, but I'm not all that fond of Audiobahn subs. I've switched to Memphis and they are great. How much did you pay for those subs and what model are the? I'm trying to figure out how much of a discount I have on them for 96Hatch.

GScivic7
06-06-2003, 02:51 PM
it was the bottom of the line Audiobahn, i think it was a AW120Q or something like that, SVC 4 ohm handles 500 watts RMS, wasn't a bad sub. I got it for 109 from Nexxon.com and my friend got his other one for 69 off of ikesound.com

GScivic7
06-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by 96Hatch

cool know of any local dnb dejays?
washington state is in seattle right?
me get a 3.5 lol hahah yea right

don't know any local DJ's, i just d/l all my techno music. and yah seattle is in washington.

AirAllen01
06-06-2003, 06:00 PM
it was the bottom of the line Audiobahn, i think it was a AW120Q or something like that, SVC 4 ohm handles 500 watts RMS, wasn't a bad sub. I got it for 109 from Nexxon.com and my friend got his other one for 69 off of ikesound.com

I'm not much cheaper than ikesound.com. I could have gotten the sub for 64.14, no taxes, and only about $10 for shipping and handling, cuz they only have a 60 oz. mag. Not to bad, but like I said before, Audiobahn has raised their prices. This same sub, brand new is prolly about $75- $85. I'm just guessing this price though, it could be cheaper, it could be more expensive.

Jetts
06-06-2003, 06:11 PM

don't know any local DJ's, i just d/l all my techno music. and yah seattle is in washington.

rofl lol i know seattle is in washington but i meant is washington state university in seattle

GScivic7
06-06-2003, 06:44 PM

I'm not much cheaper than ikesound.com. I could have gotten the sub for 64.14, no taxes, and only about $10 for shipping and handling, cuz they only have a 60 oz. mag. Not to bad, but like I said before, Audiobahn has raised their prices. This same sub, brand new is prolly about $75- $85. I'm just guessing this price though, it could be cheaper, it could be more expensive.

ikesound.com doesn't charge for shipping though, that's why i like them, that and there prices freaking rock

GScivic7
06-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 96Hatch

rofl lol i know seattle is in washington but i meant is washington state university in seattle

lol my bad, University of Washington is in Seattle, if you wanna go to Washington State University, which I highly discourage you from :devil: , that's in Pullman on the other side of the state

Jetts
06-07-2003, 01:20 AM
why what is wrong with washington state?

GScivic7
06-09-2003, 03:47 AM
drunk rednecks run freely over there

Jetts
06-10-2003, 12:38 AM
oh k the one in seattle is the one i want to go there i went to seattle one summer and walked around the campus it is nice

i just didnt know if it was washington state or university of washington

Add your comment to this topic!